Thursday, June 13, 2024

Favorite Offseason Additions: AFC North

Offseason workouts are winding down across the NFL. The “long” wait for the start of training camp is about to begin. That makes this a fine time to take a look at some of my favorite offseason additions for each of the league’s 32 teams. Next up is the AFC North.

Favorite Offseason Additions: AFC North

Baltimore Ravens
Derrick Henry, RB, free agent

Derrick Henry has run for a lot of hard yardage in the league. I still think that he has a couple more seasons in him. Henry lined up in a backfield with Lamar Jackson feels like something made only in dreams. Pretty much from the moment the Cleveland Browns were ripped out of Cleveland and moved to Baltimore, I’ve found the Ravens interesting. They’re frequently contending and always entertaining. I like Henry on the Ravens. 

Cincinnati Bengals
Amarius Mims, OT, first-round pick

This pick should really be second-round defensive tackle Kris Jenkins Jr. For this exercise, I’m going with gigantic Amarius Mims. The Cincinnati Bengals have revealed a fondness for humongous offensive tackles. I figured they’d reached their threshold with Trent Brown and Orlando Brown Jr. Nope. They added Mims in the first round.

Bengals Tackles:
Orlando Brown Jr: 6’8”, 344lbs
Trent Brown: 6’8” 359 lbs
Amarius Mims: 6’8” 340 lbs

The Bengals have five players with listed weights of over 330lbs. Nine over 320lbs. 

Cleveland Browns
Mike Hall Jr., DL, second-round pick

As I was looking at the draft’s defensive tackles, Mike Hall Jr. emerged as a mid-round favorite. In my mind, I forced him into the mid rounds because the Vikings had no picks in the second and third rounds. He was never going to make it to the fourth. He didn’t even make it out of the second round. 

Pittsburgh Steelers
Troy Fautanu, OT, first-round pick
Zach Frazier, C, second-round pick
Mason McCormick, G, fourth-round pick

Offensive line was clearly a priority for the Steelers. I really like each of the picks individually. Collectively, they’re brilliant. Add in 2023 first-round pick Broderick Jones and the Steelers have their offensive line for the next decade-plus. Troy Fautanu was one of the my favorite tackles. Zach Frazier was my favorite center and one of my favorite offensive linemen. I hoped that Mason McCormick would make it to Minnesota. 


No comments:

Post a Comment