Wednesday, June 20, 2012

RIP R.C. Owens

Former San Francisco 49ers receiver R.C. Owens passed away on Sunday. He was 78. Owens had been on my mind recently. I just kept running across references to him. While waiting far too long for an airplane at the San Francisco International Airport, I was pleased to find the plaque commemorating Owens' induction into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame at my gate. I had the time to read his story on the plaque thousands of time. I didn't really need to as I knew his story well. My father often spoke of R.C. Owens in his football tales. When my plane finally arrived and I landed on the other side of the nation, I was again reminded of Owens at the Basketball Hall of Fame. I found plaques and displays honoring the great Elgin Baylor. Owens and Baylor were teammates at the College of Idaho. Owens was an excellent basketball player, leading the nation in rebounding. Those hoops skills helped make him ahead of his time in the NFL. In today's football game you'll find a handful of receivers like Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Sidney Rice. Receivers that use their height, positioning, leaping ability, timing and hands to simply go up and get the ball. Much like a basketball rebound. A pass thrown high into the end zone will end it's flight in the hands of those receivers. Many receivers can do this now. Only R.C. Owens did it in the late '50s. The "Alley Oop Pass" was discovered by accident in a 49ers practice. Quarterback Y.A. Tittle was just throwing the ball away. When Owens went up and grabbed it the 49ers were smart not to ignore the possibilities. It was beautiful and R.C. Owens was a star. To many he was known simply as "Oop." Despite playing a few seasons with the Baltimore Colts and New York Giants, Owens was always a 49er. He worked for the organization as a player and administrator in six decades. His impact was strong away from the 49ers office as well. He started a reading program that continues to this day. R.C. Owens revolutionized football but is better known to many for changing lives.

RIP R.C. Owens.

No comments:

Post a Comment