Wednesday, June 13, 2012

LA Team

I can't help but chuckle every time I hear the fantastic need for an NFL team in Los Angeles. That football deprived mega-market. Four professional football teams have called Los Angeles home. None are there now. Three teams have left that home. The Los Angeles Dons of the All America Football Conference competed with a Rams team fresh off the train from Cleveland for the love of the people of LA. The Dons folded when their league folded. The Rams played on. The team that we now know as the San Diego Chargers started in LA. They soon left that city for San Diego. The Rams played on. The Oakland Raiders decided to piss off everyone but LA by moving south in 1982. The big city was a two team city for more than a decade but they couldn't sustain it. The empty Raiders seats were always a depressing sight. By 1995, LA was a no team town. In my opinion the professional football track record in LA is horrible. The Rams were big time in southern California for fifty years. I hated seeing the Rams bolt for St. Louis. I wouldn't mind seeing them come back to what I have always thought of as their home. It just sucks for St. Louis but poaching teams has always been the LA way. The Rams, Lakers and Dodgers all left other communities in tears. I guess that the people of California hate dealing with the struggles of an expansion team. LA is going to get a team some day. It's too much of a priority for Roger Goodell and the suits around the league. Unfortunately the team will likely come at the expense of another community. I don't like that. I chuckle when I hear banter about the "LA situation" mostly because I feel that the city has had their shot. Several shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment