Saturday, June 30, 2012

Remembering Joe Delaney

As a young football fan I thought that professional football players were immortal. I thought that some were heroes. 29 years ago I finally discovered what it really meant to be heroic. On June 29 1983, Kansas City Chiefs running back Joe Delaney never hesitated when he charged into the water because three boys were drowning. There were other people around but only Delaney reacted. It didn't matter that he couldn't swim very well. It only mattered that three boys were in trouble. One of the boys made it out, two didn't. Neither did Joe Delaney.

I think of Joe Delaney often. I'd be a far better person if I thought of him more than I do. So few people act without thinking of themselves first. What Joe Delaney did that day was one of the most selfless acts I've ever known. 29 years ago, I learned that professional football players are mortal. I also learned about a real hero. I'll never forget Joe Delaney.

No comments:

Post a Comment