Friday, August 7, 2026

Another Minnesota Vikings 53-man Roster Projection

Yesterday brought another day off at Minnesota Vikings training camp. The idle day allowed thinking about 53-man roster projections. 

This projection includes a projection that Harrison Smith returns to continue his brilliant career. All offseason I was convinced that he was coming back. I was also convinced that he would be present at the start of training camp. I just didn’t see Smith as one of those players that would skip the preseason work and just stroll into the regular season. If he was coming back for another season of football, he’d be coming back for all of it. Anyway, I’m still hoping that he returns. I’m not ready for a Vikings defense that doesn’t include #22. 

Another Too Early Minnesota Vikings 53-man Roster Projection

Offense (25)

Quarterback (3)
Kyler Murray
J.J. McCarthy
Carson Wentz

Running Back (3)
Aaron Jones
Jordan Mason
Demond Claiborne

Not including Zavier Scott is difficult. 

Fullback (1)
Max Bredeson

Wide Receiver (5)
Justin Jefferson
Jordan Addison
Jauan Jennings
Tai Felton
Myles Price

After the signing of Jauan Jennings, the top five receivers felt pretty straightforward. Jones, Dontae Fleming, and perhaps Dillon Bell are changing that feeling. 

Tight End (3)
T.J. Hockenson
Josh Oliver
Gavin Bartholomew

Offensive Line (10)
Christian Darrisaw
Donovan Jackson
Blake Brandel
Will Fries
Brian O’Neill
Ryan Van Demark
Caleb Tiernan
Michael Jurgens
Joe Huber
Delby Lemieux

The five starters, Ryan Van Demark, Caleb Tiernan, and Joe Huber are easy. The competition for the final 2-3 spots looks wide open. 

Defense (25)

Defensive Line (6)
Jalen Redmond
Caleb Banks
Domonique Orange
Levi Drake Rodriguez 
Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins
Elijah Williams

This is becoming my favorite position group on the team. 

Outside Linebacker (4)
Andrew Van Ginkel
Dallas Turner
Bo Richter
Chaz Chambliss

Most pundits believe the Vikings will supplement the outside linebacker group with a veteran free agent. I’m beginning to believe that Brian Flores will dip into the linebacker group to support outside linebacker starters Andrew Van Ginkel and Dallas Turner. Eric Wilson and rookie Jake Golday will play some on the edge. Versatile defensive lineman Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins may also factor into the edge rotation. 

Linebacker (5)
Blake Cashman
Eric Wilson
Jamal Adams
Ivan Pace Jr.
Jake Golday

The late addition of Jamal Adams changes this group and perhaps the entire defense. 

Cornerback (4)
Byron Murphy Jr.
Isaiah Rodgers
James Pierre
Chuck Demmings

Safety (6)
Harrison Smith
Josh Metellus
Jay Ward
Theo Jackson
Jakobe Thomas
Tavierre Thomas

Still hoping for Harrison Smith’s return. 

Special Teams (3)

Kicker (1)
Will Reichard

Punter (1)
Johnny Hekker

Until I’m convinced that undrafted rookie Brett Thorson can consistently snap the ball, I’m going with Johnny Hekker. 

Long Snapper (1)
Andrew DePaola


No comments:

Post a Comment