Friday, March 12, 2021

Minnesota Vikings Draft Picks

With the awarding of two compensatory draft picks this week the Minnesota Vikings now have 12 picks in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

1 (14)
3 (78)
3 (90) (from Ravens)
4 (119)
4 (125) (from Bears)
4 (134) (from Bills)
4 (143) (comp pick)
5 (157)
5 (171) (from Steelers)
6 (198) 
6 (222) (comp pick)
7 (241)

12 picks is a strong start. Vikings general manager Rick Spielman turned fewer picks into a league-record 15 picks last year. It’s a safe bet that Spielman will do some deals this spring. Draft day deals are sort of his thing. I have my doubts that the deals this year will be to gain picks. I think it’s more likely that he trades up for a targeted player than trades back for picks. In particular, I think that he trades up to gain entry into the second round pick. I can’t see the Vikings sitting out an entire early round. Spielman could trade back from the 14th pick of the first round to gain a second. Right now, I’m not a fan of trading back in the first round. The drop necessary to warrant a second round pick would probably be too far. I’d rather he gained the second round pick by using the extra picks in the third and fourth rounds to move up. However Spielman uses those 12 picks the draft should be fun. It always is. 

Since the draft is on my mind, current favorites for the 14th pick:

Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern 
Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU 
Kwity Paye, Edge, Michigan
Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech 


No comments:

Post a Comment