Friday, June 5, 2020

Favorite Offseason Additions: NFC

So far this offseason, I've selected my favorite free agent signings and favorite draft picks for each team. With some time on my hands I decided that selecting my favorite offseason addition would be fun. Or at least pass some time. The NFC is up first.

Minnesota Vikings
Jeff Gladney, CB
Due to a restricting salary cap situation, the Vikings were only able to add a handful of free agents. Defensive tackle Michael Pierce is a favorite addition from that small group. There were plenty of contenders from the draft as the Vikings added 15 players. I'm going with the first round corner from TCU, Jeff Gladney. As the draft neared, Gladney emerged as one of my favorite cornerbacks in the draft as I fell for his feisty play. I was thrilled that he was still available with the Vikings' second pick of the first round. I think that he's a Day 1 starter.

Chicago Bears
Kindle Vindor, CB
I picked Kindle Vindor as my favorite draft addition for the Bears. So, he's my favorite overall addition. It was between Vindor and Nick Foles. I'll go with the potential-filled corner over the nomad quarterback.

Detroit Lions
Jamie Collins, LB
About midway through the 2019 season, Jamie Collins had some Defensive Player of the Year steam. He had a career resurgence in New England last year. If he can build on that with the Lions he's an outstanding addition.

Green Bay Packers
Christian Kirksey, LB
The Packers replaced Blake Martinez with Christian Kirksey. I'd say that's a bump in talent. I was a fan of Kirksey throughout his days in Cleveland. Plus, replacing a player from Stanford for a player from any other college is always a move in the right direction.

Dallas Cowboys
Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
I feel like the Dallas Cowboys had a charmed draft. They were able to find most of their players several picks, even rounds, later than I expected them to be selected. As for my favorite, I'll go with the brother of one of my favorite Vikings of recent years. Sadly, Stefon Diggs is no longer in Minnesota. But that doesn't keep Trevon Diggs from being my favorite pick of the Cowboys.

New York Giants
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Most draft analysts considered Andrew Thomas the fourth offensive tackle. I eventually came to think that he could be the best NFL offensive tackle of the four.

Philadelphia Eagles 
Javon Hargrave, DT
Just the thought of Javon Hargrave on the same line as Fletcher Cox is frightening. It may even be illegal.

Atlanta Falcons
Jaylinn Hawkins, S, Cal
I have to go with a Cal player. It seemed that most draft analysts pegged Jaylinn Hawkins as a late round pick. I don't think that they saw him play. The Atlanta Falcons apparently did.

Carolina Panthers
Teddy Bridgewater, QB
If not for the horrible knee injury before the start of the 2016 season, Teddy Bridgewater would still be the Vikings' franchise quarterback. I truly believe that. What a different football world it would be. I'm glad that Bridgewater is finally getting an opportunity to be "the guy" for a team. He deserves it. He's earned it. The Panthers gave him a three-year deal but I fear that it's only as a place-holder for the "next guy." At least that future is in his hands.

New Orleans Saints
Emmanuel Sanders, WR
I suppose that Drew Brees needed more playmakers. Emmanuel Sanders paired with Michael Thomas should be fun for the Saints. Not so fun for defenses.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tom Brady, QB
Everybody loves the Buccaneers now. The team won the offseason when won the Tom Brady Sweepstakes. I would've considered Tampa Bay a serious contender if they had kept Jameis Winston. They would've been in the playoffs last year if he'd thrown about three fewer interceptions. Brady pushes the Buccaneers to the headlines.

Arizona Cardinals
DeAndre Hopkins, WR
Top draft pick Isaiah Simmons is a strong contender.as favorite offseason addition. I have to go with the trade that would've been vetoed in nearly all fantasy football leagues. The Cardinals committed unarmed robbery with the acquisition of DeAndre Hopkins from the Houston Texans.

Los Angeles Rams
Van Jefferson, WR, Flroida
If the Vikings hadn't selected a receiver in the first round, Van Jefferson was at the top of my wish list in the second or third rounds. I'm fond of technically sound receivers with terrific hands.

San Francisco 49ers
Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
Javon Kinlaw and Isaiah Simmons were probably my two favorite players in this draft. So, Kinlaw is my favorite pick of the San Francisco 49ers. The number of top picks that the 49ers have used in recent years to select a defensive lineman is astonishing.

Seattle Seahawks
Darrell Taylor, DE, Tennessee
Darrell Taylor strikes me as one of those players that will be a first round pick in one of those stupid re-drafts that will be done in a few years.







No comments:

Post a Comment