Tuesday, June 16, 2020

All-Time Favorites Team

While I'm sitting and waiting for the Minnesota Vikings to sign their 15 draft picks and sign Dalvin Cook and Anthony Harris to contract extensions, my mind wanders to other football things. Perhaps inspired by Michael MacCambridge's terrific FMIA column, while Peter King vacations, I was thinking about some of my favorite football players over the years. In that FMIA column, MacCambridge named some of his favorite interviews. Some of those he named are among my favorite players. That led me to thinking of a team of my favorite players. I've posted a team of my favorite players before. I've probably done it a few times. I'm doing it again. When I do this, I eliminate Vikings players from contention. Otherwise, it becomes an All-Time Vikings team. So, here's an All-Time Team of some of my favorite players.

Offense

WR Raymond Berry
TE John Mackey
OT Jonathan Ogden
OG John Hannah
C Mel Hein
OG Jerry Kramer
OT Jim Parker
WR Larry Fitzgerald
QB Johnny Unitas
RB Dutch Clark
FB Jim Brown


Defense

DE Gino Marchetti
DT Bob Lilly
DT Aaron Donald
DE Reggie White
LB Lawrence Taylor
LB Willie Lanier
LB Bobby Bell
CB Dick "Night Train" Lane
CB Mike Haynes
S Ed Reed
S Emlen Tunnell

***

It's tough to leave Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, and Deacon Jones off this team. Among others. But I was feeling more Dutch Clark, Raymond Berry, and Reggie White. 

Partly for his long Hall of Fame wait and mostly for his books, I've always been a fan of Jerry Kramer. I was in Canton for his much-deserved induction. Hearing and seeing him in person cemented his place as one of my favorites. 

If I had been born about a decade earlier, I believe that I would've been a Baltimore Colts. Five of the above 22 players played for the great Colts teams of the late 1950s. 

Raymond Berry
John Mackey
Jim Parker
Johnny Unitas
Gino Marchetti

Lenny Moore and Art Donovan could've made it seven. Those were some fun teams. If I had become a Colts fans, that move to Indianapolis would've been so painful. Even from California. 

Even thought they took care of the Vikings in Super Bowl IV, the late 1960s Chiefs are another team that has been a favorite of mine. Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell are on this team. Otis Taylor, Buck Buchanan, Curley Culp, Johnny Robinson, Emmitt Thomas. Those Chiefs team were loaded with talent and favorites. 

More favorites that deserve mention

Clarke Hinkle
Bronko Nagurski
Don Hutson
Bill Dudley
Ace Parker
Bill Willis
Bulldog Turner
Ollie Matson
Elroy Hirsch
Lance Alworth
Dave Robinson
Joe Schmidt
Gale Sayers
Kellen Winslow
Earl Campbell
Barry Sanders
Kenny Easley
Ronnie Lott
Deion Sanders
Junior Seau
Dan Marino
Peyton Manning
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Tom Brady
LaDanian Tomlinson
Julio Jones
Steve Smith

so many favorites



No comments:

Post a Comment