Friday, August 31, 2012

Directv Can Suck It

I really don't think that I'll ever understand negotiations. I didn't understand the labor negotiations between the players and the owners last year. I don't understand the labor negotiations between the officials and the NFL this year. In both, the respective parties want the same thing. The players and the officials just want to be on the field. The NFL want both on the field. Just meet in the middle somewhere on all of the sticky particulars. Sounds simple enough. Now, I'm losing my mind over the inability of Directv and the new Pac-12 Network to come to an agreement to televise the Pac-12 games this year. Most of the conference teams start their season this week. People with cable get to see those games. Directv subscribers will not get to see them. The Pac 12 and Directv both want to get this done. Really, they need to get this done as it surely benefits both. Both parties knew that the season starts this week. One would think that they'd make a point of agreeing well before this week. Directv prides themselves on being an extensive sports carrier. They are missing the mark on this one. Especially on the west coast. They are losing customers by the bushel right now. They'd be losing me if I wasn't so dependent on Directv's Sunday Ticket for Minnesota Vikings game. Imagine my dilemma. I hate Directv on Saturday when I can't see Cal games. I love them on Sunday when I'm watching the Vikings. It's a rough time right now.

Just when I don't think that this mess can get any more ridiculous, I hear Directv idiot spokesman Robert Mercer say that with all the channels currently available from Directv that fans should be able to see plenty of Pac-12 games. This guy is clueless. Directv may pride themselves on being an extensive sports carrier but they clearly know little about sports. They clearly know little about the football schedule on their own channels. If fans are to rely on networks other than the Pac-12 Network for Pac-12 games they will see very few games. For example, Cal's game against Ohio St. on Sept. 15 is on ABC. Their game against Washington on Nov.2 is on ESPN2. Those are the only Cal games televised on a network other than the Pac-12 Network. Two games out of twelve does not qualify as plenty. It certainly doesn't qualify as acceptable, Mr Mercer. Clown!

There is no way that this standoff can last. Both parties need each other. Directv is being torn apart in the social media and they are losing customers. They have to see that this needs to end. It's simply irresponsible that it has taken this long. Hopefully, this gets settled soon. Hopefully before Nevada takes the field at Cal's renovated Memorial Stadium tomorrow at noon. Tomorrow at noon!

No comments:

Post a Comment