Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fantastic Football

Today is draft day for my fantasy football league. I've always enjoyed this ridiculous sideshow that is fantasy football. My history with this passion goes back over thirty years. I was the general manager for a team in a league of junior high school teachers. Some had even been teachers of this little Flea Flicker. It's always shocking to see teachers on the other side of the school grounds. I'll let other blogs tackle that one. My time in that league only lasted a few years but it was enough to reveal to me that fantasy football has little to do with real football. I also found it to be a lot of fun. Real life and college separated me from fantasy football for several years. My best pal brought me back over twenty years ago and we've been in a league and eventually our own league ever since. Today will be our fourteenth draft with pretty much the current band of football nuts. In person drafts are always the best. Good friends. Good times. Fantasy football. Getting together this year was a bit more problematic than any other year. If we ever get to the point of having the draft through modern technology it's time to step out. Getting together is always worth the hassles that may result in getting together.

Most fantasy football enthusiasts that I know pursue the game much more intensely than I do. Some to the extent that the outcome of their fantasy game is more important than the real games. For me it's always been a little bit of football on the side, right or left, of the real thing. Something to perk up my interest in a particular game that may not otherwise interest me as much as others. I don't study for the draft and I don't dwell on my lineup each week. I draft the players that I like and not from a list in a magazine or a website. I only vary my lineup when there's an injury. I don't care much about matchups. Basically, I'm a horrible fantasy football competitor. I don't win much but sometimes I win it all. I like it and it's fun. I've enjoyed every season of fantasy football. My current league being the best that I've known.

Good luck to fantasy football enthusiasts everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment