Friday, August 17, 2012

"Hard Knocks"

I finally watched the first episode of the Miami Dolphins "Hard Knocks." The Olympics have always had a tendency to hack up schedules. It didn't start off so great for me when the first scenes focused on the impending release of rookie offensive lineman Derrick Dennis. My main issue, actually my only issue, with the "Hard Knocks" series is the showing, in all it's discomfort and sadness, the football players being cut. For some, there is appeal in this. For me, there is none. Shattering a person's dream is not something that I really care to see. I know that it's part of football. I just see it as something between the player and the coach. Sometimes being cut is for the best. If the player is talented enough for the NFL he now has a chance to find a team that might be a better fit. Still, it's not something that I need to see. They even made sure to show the shoulder pads that Derrick Dennis never got to wear. Nice.

Someting that does interest me is the better view of the holdout that this behind the scenes program shows. We saw it in past "Hard Knocks" seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs and running back Larry Johnson, the New York Jets and corner Darrelle Revis. This time it's the Dolphins and rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Before this show the view of the disagreeing parties was that of pissy rich guys unable to divide their riches. Now, we see them as they really are. Football people that just want to get to work. Get the business crap out of the way so that the football can start. Sometimes it truly is pissy rich guys but there are fewer than we used to think.

The most memorable part of the first episode came from, of course, Chad Johnson. As he was leaving training camp for the team's first day off he tossed out the following:

"I promise I'm getting arrested while we're off."

He was a little early with his prediction but he sure was accurate.

Watching a happier Johnson play a soccer video game with Reggie Bush was a riot. Johnson's press conference was a riot. Johnson's a riot. I've always liked the guy. The football player and the person. I sure hope that he gets his stuff together.

The Dolphins quarterback group is a very interesting one. Tannehill was drafted to be "the guy" but I've always liked the potential of Matt Moore. He looked like he had the skills in college at Oregon St. He's shown nice talent when given the chance initially with Carolina and then Miami last year. Each time his team has responded to his potential by drafting a quarterback in the first round. Cam Newton in Carolina. Ryan Tannehill in Miami. David Garrard provides some veteran insurance. Even left in the dark Pat Devlin has some nice developmental potential.

There's some interesting things going on with the Dolphins. One of those left with Chad Johnson being cut. One that certainly remains is head coach Joe Philbin. Some of my favorite coaches are the long time assistants. Philbin certainly qualifies as one. I love that he has finally gotten his shot at leading a team. He's earned it. I also love that he's out of Green Bay. He may not have the entertainment value of Rex Ryan but he's a terrific football coach. I hope that he succeeds. I look forward to getting to know him better through "Hard Knocks."

No comments:

Post a Comment