Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hall of Fame Thoughts

I have to get to the Hall of Fame. I could spend a month there. Maybe more. I have to get to one of these Inductions. I'm just waiting for Cris Carter.

I know that this day is for the new guys but I still wish that the TV coverage did a better job of covering the introductions of the Hall of Famers in attendance. I love seeing all that football history sitting on the stage. The turnout next year could be huge with it being the 50th Anniversary of the Hall.

This Hall of Fame class is the first to have no championships among them. I'm actually more surprised that it hasn't happened before. Being part of a championship team isn't mandatory for induction but it certainly helps.

The Hall, or someone, really needed to raise the microphone for Willie Roaf. If he didn't have back problems before, he does now.

I love that Roaf mentioned fellow Pine Bluff High School Hall of Famer Don Hutson.

It was fantastic to see Jack Butler be able to accept his induction. A half century is a long time to wait. Recent inductees Les Richter, Benny Friedman and Fritz Pollard didn't survive their unnecessary wait.
"Heck, I'm thankful I'm here."-Jack Butler
So, am I.

Nice gesture by Chris Doleman to acknowledge the passing and impact of former Minnesota Vikings general manager Mike Lynn.

One of the best things about the induction of a former Minnesota Vikings player is the memories brought back in the speeches. The names, the games, the history. Oh my. Can't wait for the next one.

I liked Cortez Kennedy's speech. Kinda rambling. Kinda funny. I kinda like the speeches that don't feel completely scripted. They can either be a disaster or they can be like the one that Kennedy gave.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been incredibly blessed at the center position over the last forty years. It was awesome to hear Dermontti Dawson describe the impact of Mike Webster on his career. Webster, then Dawson. Maurkice Pouncey is continuing that legacy today.

Well, I've never heard a speech like that of Curtis Martin. By the looks of the Hall of Famers, old and new, they hadn't either. Incredible.

It's interesting that Martin wasn't a fan of football until he came to Canton this week.

Welcome to the Hall of Fame Willie Roaf, Jack Butler, Chris Doleman, Cortez Kennedy, Dermontti Dawson and Curtis Martin.



No comments:

Post a Comment