Friday, February 10, 2012

I Hate You!

As I was scurrying about the various football sites that I scurry about I found the results of a "most hated NFL player" poll. I can think of a few thousand polls that would be more productive than this but I still had to check the results. Some were predictable.

Michael Vick             60%
Plaxico Burress          56
Ben Roethlisberger    49
Albert Haynesworth   46
Jay Cutler                  38
Chad Ochocinco       35
Vince Young              32
Carson Palmer          31
Tony Romo               29
Jeremy Shockey       29

This particular poll was apparently taken in November. Since his Thanksgiving day tantrum, Ndamukong Suh has entered the fray. The thing that bothers me most about Suh is the constant stream of excuses he gives for his ridiculous behavior. Vick is an automatic. All future "hate" polls can start at two. Vick will always be #1. I really don't understand how people can hate Burress for shooting himself. I get the hatred for Roethlisberger, Haynesworth and Shockey. Cutler may have annoying expressions and mannerisms that come across as ambivalence but he's a terrific quarterback and is never a problem off the field. Ochocinco is simply misunderstood. He's harmless and often hilarious. Romo is much like a happy Cutler. Palmer and Young did nothing but leave the team that drafted them. I have no idea what either one did to be hated. If Bengals fans hate Palmer for choosing retirement over playing for their team, they're misguided. The Bengals have been a mess for a while. The Raiders gave up enough for Palmer to make even the most hateful Bengals fan a happy one.

Except for a couple of these players, "hate" seems a little strong. I like "annoying" better. Still, it's all about opinions and every one's got one.


No comments:

Post a Comment