Friday, February 17, 2012

Bye Bye Jaws

I was saddened to hear that Ron Jaworski is leaving the Monday Night Football broadcast booth. ESPN is turning to a two man team of Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden. It's a bit of a gamble seeing as Gruden could bolt for a coaching gig at any moment. Tirico and Gruden are a fine team but Jaworski's football expertise will be missed. Thankfully, he isn't leaving ESPN completely. He'll still be doing his excellent breakdowns as part of the NFL Matchup shows.

I often hear people complain about Jaworski's broadcasting. They're often the same one's that complained about John Madden. I think that these critics are out of their minds. I don't see how anyone that enjoys football can listen to Ron Jaworski break down a play and not learn something. He's one of the best at explaining what's happening on the field. If people would stop complaining and listen, they might learn this and learn some football. I think that Jaworski's a "film guy" at heart and maybe enjoys the studio work more than the broadcast booth. I hope that this move was a mutual decision between Jaworski and ESPN. I'd hate to see one of the best football analysts around get phased out because some people don't take the time to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment