Friday, October 14, 2016

Things I Like About Mike Zimmer

I can sum up the things that I like about Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer in one word. Everything. Two words. Absolutely everything. To be more specific, here are some of the many things that I like about Mike Zimmer.

1. I like that Mike Zimmer took one more job interview.
Zimmer was so frustrated with being denied head coaching opportunities that he was about to give up interviewing for them. Thankfully, he took one more interview.

2. I like that he tells like it like it is.
In his introductory press conference Zimmer stated that "honesty is always the best policy" in response to a question suggesting that sometimes it isn't. Zimmer is always honest. Sometimes brutally so. A certain Vikings beat writer might question Zimmer's "honesty all the time" mantra but the coach has always prioritized speaking the truth. As long as it doesn't give the opposing team a competitive advantage.

3. I like that all of his players love him and love playing football for him..

4. I like that he gives the Vikings beat writers a "Football 101" class in the offseason.
Many in the media may not think that they need to be educated on the game but they do. I couldn't help but laugh when some of them asked Zimmer why he was doing these classes.

5. I like that he can get a little pissy with the media.
He may not be at Bill Belichick levels. Yet. But Zimmer can get very short with some of the mind-numbing questions tossed his way.

6. I like the relationship that he has with general manager Rick Spielman.
It's amazing that so many coaches, general managers, and teams fail to understand this but the head coach-general manager relationship has to be one of respect and understanding if a team is to be successful.

7. I like that he loves coaching football.
His passion for the game is obvious. Seeing him on a football field coaching and teaching, especially teaching technique, speaks volumes more than hundreds of press conferences and interviews.

8. I like that he easily admits to seeking advice from mentors. Bill Parcells in particular.
It appears that he has no ego. Refreshing.

9. I like that he frequently acknowledges the work of the scouts.

10. I like that he said that he wanted to build a team of which the fans would be proud.
It didn't take him long to accomplish that.

11. I like that he shakes the hand of the each of his players during pregame warmups.

12. I like that he holds all players accountable and to the same standards.

Those are just a few of the things that I like about Zimmer.

I love that Mike Zimmer is the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings.


No comments:

Post a Comment