Sunday, August 7, 2022

Minnesota Vikings Roster: The Safeties

This run through the Minnesota Vikings roster continues. Next up: The Safeties. 

For most of the 2000s, I wished that the Vikings could find a dominant safety. It was about the only thing missing from the 2009 defense. In 2012, Harrison Smith came to Minnesota. For most of the next ten years, I wished that the Vikings could find an excellent safety to pair with Smith. There were some good ones. Anthony Harris and Xavier Woods come to mind. Andrew Sendejo had some nice moments when he wasn’t putting a helmet to the helmet of opponents and teammates. None of them felt long-lasting. That second safety spot often felt in flux. It appears all of my safety wishes of the past 20 years have finally come true. The Vikings safety position is going to be fun.

Minnesota Vikings Roster: The Safeties

Harrison Smith
Camryn Bynum
Lewis Cine
Josh Metellus 
Myles Dorn
Mike Brown

As the 2022 NFL Draft approached, I never really considered the safety prospects. I certainly didn’t consider those projected in the early rounds. It was one of the best safety drafts I’ve ever seen. It had quality, quantity, and variety. I was smitten with the potential pairing of Harrison Smith and Camryn Bynum. I’ve been a Bynum fan since his Cal days. Smith and Bynum. They were going to be great together. So, I was a little surprised by the selection of Lewis Cine in the first round. Now, I can barely contain my excitement for the potential of Smith, Bynum, and Cine. I expect the coaches to find reasons to get all three on the field at the same time. Like Smith, Bynum and Cine are heady football players. Bynum is a modest athlete. He gets to where he’s supposed to be by quickly knowing where he’s supposed to be. Cine is not a modest athlete. He’s explosive. He’s violent. Smart, explosive, and violent. I’m looking forward to Cine’s Vikings career. Josh Metellus has emerged as a special teams standout. Myles Dorn has been on the edge of the roster for a couple seasons. Mike Brown is an undrafted free agent. Dorn and Brown have a tough roster road in front of them.

Top Competition:
Camryn Bynum vs. Lewis Cine
The Vikings post-Smith safety pairing are competing for the honor of playing next to Smith this season. 

Could Surprise:
If there’s a safety foursome other than Smith, Bynum, Cine, and Metellus, I’d be very surprised.

The Vikings safety position is probably as set as any position on the team.

Harrison Smith
Camryn Bynum
Lewis Cine
Josh Metellus

No comments:

Post a Comment