Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Draft Network’s Minnesota Vikings 7-Round Mock Draft

Over recent weeks, The Draft Network has been posting 7-Round Mock Drafts for each of the 32 NFL teams. They finally did a mock for the only team that really matters. The Minnesota Vikings. 

1(14) Alijah Vera-Tucker, IOL, USC
3(78) Payton Turner, Edge, Houston
3(91) Ar’Darius Washington, S, TCU
4(120) Shi Smith, WR, South Carolina
4(126) David Moore, IOL, Grambling State
4(135) Ambry Thomas, CB, Michigan
4(144) Dayo Obeyingbo, Edge, Vanderbilt
5(158) Tony Fields II, LB, West Virginia
5(169) Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU
6(200) Brenden James, OT, Nebraska

First of all, every pick after the 78th pick is off by one. The Vikings actually have the following picks. The NFL says so. 

1(14)
3(78)
3(90)
4(119)
4(125)
4(134) 
4(143)
5(157)
5(168)
6(199)

I believe that a team (probably the Patriots) has to forfeit a third-round pick and it isn’t reflected in this mock. 

Anyway, I like this mock draft. I love the Alijah Vera-Tucker pick. Unless one of Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater miraculously fall to the 14th pick, Vera-Tucker is my top offensive lineman for the Vikings. If he’s the pick, I think that the best left tackle-guard combination between him and Ezra Cleveland is what we’ll see on the field this season. With nothing more than a hunch guiding me, I’d have Vera-Tucker penciled in at left tackle and Cleveland penciled in at guard. It’s just a hunch. The more natural combination is Cleveland at left tackle and Vera-Tucker at left guard. Those are the positions that each spent most (Vera-Tucker) or all (Cleveland) of the college careers playing. 

As for the rest of the mock, I really like the edge rushers Payton Turner and Dayo Obeyingbo. If there’s any pause it’s picking a second edge player before addressing the interior of the defensive line. Although I do like the choice of Khyiris Tonga when defensive tackle was finally addressed. 

Shi Smith is among a group of possibly Day 3 receivers that I like. A group that includes Tutu Atwell, Jaelon Darden, Frank Darby, Whop Philyor, Sage Surratt, and Cade Johnson. 

If David Moore and Ambry Thomas actually do find their draft way to Minnesota, I think that each could develop into starters early in their careers. The Vikings presently have three certain starters on the offensive line. Brian O’Neill (RT), Garrett Bradbury (C), and Ezra Cleveland (G or T). Vera-Tucker would be the fourth. There would be an opening at guard. Moore has the talent and potential to fill it as a rookie. Jeff Gladney’s recent off-field issues has thrown his status with the team into a questionable one. That’s thrown questions into the cornerback group. Patrick Peterson and Cameron Dantzler are the likely outside corner starters this year. Peterson’s age and one-year deal potentially creates an opening in 2022. Fair or not, I think that Thomas is a player that was hurt by opting out of his final college football season. He might’ve been a first- or second-round pick if he’d played. I could easily see Thomas developing into a quality starter early in his NFL career. 

Ar’Darius Washington is one of my favorite safeties in the draft. I have yet to look at the mid-round linebackers so I only know Tony Fields II by name. 

For comparison, this is the mock that I recently crafted from The Draft Network’s Mock Draft Machine. 

1(14) Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT, USC
3(78) Carlos Basham Jr., Edge, Wake Forest
3(90) James Hudson, OT, Cincinnati
4(119) Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh
4(125) Talanoa Hufanga, S, USC
4(134) Ambry Thomas, CB, Michigan
4(143) Elerson Smith, Edge, Northern Iowa
5(157) Chuba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma State
5(168) Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas
6(199) Cade Johnson, WR, South Dakota State

I’d take Carlos Basham Jr. over Payton Turner but I think that it’s far more likely that Turner is available at #78 in the real draft. If I had to choose between the offensive line/safety combo of David Moore/Ar’Darius Washington or James Hudson/Talanoa Hufanga, I’d go with the former. 

I really need the real draft to get here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment