Friday, August 10, 2018

Hall Of Fame Thoughts

I attended Cris Carter's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction in 2013. I returned last week to see Randy Moss join Carter in Canton. Both were fantastic experiences. This year was better simply because I was more familiar with the town, the layout, and the events. I did more and saw more. Canton is a special place and I really look forward to my next visit. Here are some thoughts on my time at the Hall.

The people of Canton and Stark County are incredible. Enshrinement weekend is all about the football greats that are being inducted and those that are returning but Canton welcomes everyone with wide open arms. Smiles and warm interactions are everywhere. I live in a California area that's the site of several big, annual events. We do not welcome our visitors anywhere near as warmly as the fine people of Stark County. They are one of the draws to this great event. I can not thank or applaud them enough.

"I hadn't been invited." -Jerry Kramer

When it was announced in February that Randy Moss was part of the 2018 Class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame I knew that I had to be in Canton in August. I was thrilled that Moss made it on his first ballot. I was also thrilled that I was going to see Jerry Kramer receive the honor that he should've received about 40 years ago. His wait was ridiculous and I'm glad that he was alive to see it end. A lot of former players (Benny Friedman, Fritz Pollard, Les Richter, Dick Stanfel, and Ken Stabler in recent years) didn't live to wear their spiffy Gold Jacket. Kramer had never visited the Hall of Fame. His explanation for avoiding the Hall was simple. "I hadn't been invited." He has a standing invitation now.

I'm glad that the Hall of Fame reversed course from previous statements and gave Terrell Owens a Canton presence. His mug was seen throughout the Hall and Canton. Owens was throwing another tantrum and there was zero cause for the Hall to stoop to his level. They are so much better than that. Hall President David Baker summed the situation up best with this statement.

"I'm not disappointed in Terrell Owens. I'm disappointed for Terrell Owens."

It's Owens' loss and if he had the conscience and self-awareness of a normal sort of person he'd realize his mistake. I have no faith in him ever doing that.

One last no note on the Owens nonsense. Upon completion of the weekend's events news came out that the Hall of Fame is considering mandating that potential inductees declare whether they intend to attend their own inductions. This would be a mistake. In 55 years only one living inductee has ever skipped his induction. Owens is the exception. He's such an exception that I can't even imagine another former player, coach, contributor ever doing it again. I didn't even think that Owens was stupid and self-absorbed enough to make this decision.

Enough of Owens.

Here are the seven men that understood the honor that comes with being a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

Randy Moss
Ray Lewis
Brian Dawkins
Brian Urlacher
Jerry Kramer
Robert Brazile
Bobby Beathard

It's an excellent class. A couple of the above thought so highly of the quality of  their class that they said the it was the best ever. It's an excellent class. Excluding the inaugural 1963 class, I've always thought that the Class of 1971 was the best.

Jim Brown
Bill Hewitt
Frank "Bruiser" Kinard
Vince Lombardi
Andy Robustelli
Y.A. Tittle
Norm Van Brocklin

That's a tough one to beat.

Maybe I'm not remembering past induction speeches accurately but it seems like speeches have become more about the emotional side of the Hall of Famer's football life and less about a biographical, sometimes chronological retelling of their story. Nearly all of the speeches over recent years and all seven from this year have been great, emotional rides.

Former Vikings defensive end Chris Doleman made the trip to Canton just months after brain surgery for cancer. It was incredible to see him there. I had the opportunity to meet him and speak with him briefly. His presence showed how much the Hall of Fame, his Hall of Fame teammates, and the people of Canton mean to him. At the Gold Jacket ceremony Doleman told Moss and Brazile that they are now part of a new family and that family had really helped him and continues to help him get through the tough times that he's going through now.

I've always idealized the Hall of Famers as a big, loving family of football legends. It's great to see that it really is.

I attended the Sunday luncheon and round table discussion this year. It was awesome. The event will be an enshrinement weekend staple every time I return. Unfortunately, Bobby Beathard, Brian Dawkins, and Brian Urlacher were unable to attend. Moss, Lewis, Kramer, and Brazile more than made up for the absences of the classmates. The discussion was fun, educational, often hilarious, and emotional. NFL Network's Steve Wyche did an excellent job as the moderator.

Here are a couple nuggets from the discussion:

Toughest opponent: 

Randy Moss:
Moss mentioned his battles with Darrelle Revis but settled on Sean Taylor as his toughest opponent.

Jerry Kramer:
Kramer mentioned a few and spoke a bit about each.
Art Donovan
Leo Nomellini-his imitation of Nomellini's voice was hilarious
Charlie Krueger
Kramer then focused on two as his toughest opponents.
Merlin Olsen
Alex Karras

Robert Brazile:
Brazile's toughest opponent was his college teammate.
Walter Payton

Ray Lewis:
Lewis spoke long and well about his on-field nemesis for the first few years of his career.
Dermontti Dawson

Teammate/opponent that should be in the Hall of Fame:

Randy Moss:
1998 draft classmate Fred Taylor

Jerry Kramer:
Teammates:
Bob Skoronski
Ron Kramer
Opponent:
Alex Karras
-I second that

Robert Brazile:
Oilers teammate Billy "White Shoes" Johnson

Ray Lewis:
Fred Taylor got his second mention from Lewis.
Eddie George

It was an incredible weekend. I'd love to make it an annual trip, even for the years in which a Vikings player isn't getting inducted. The museum is spectacular. The bust room is something close to heaven. Canton is a special place and I can't thank the Hall of Fame, the thousands of volunteers, and all of the people of Stark County enough for their hospitality.





No comments:

Post a Comment