Friday, July 31, 2015

Remembering Korey Stringer

On this day in 2001, Korey Stringer was going through his seventh training camp with the Minnesota Vikings when he started having difficulties in the Mankato heat. As a 345 pound offensive tackle these summer practices were always a grind. He had been carted off of the field the day before. This day was worse. Stringer collapsed of heatstroke and died early in the morning of August 1, 2001. He left his wife Kelci and 3-year old son Kodie.

A lot was learned that day. Things that should have been learned long before. It's probably no coincidence that July 31 is Heat Stroke Awareness Day. Stringer's death was so preventable but maybe it saved some lives. It's no longer considered "un-manly" to get some water during a football practice. Proper hydration is encouraged now. The game changed. It became a little more civilized.

I learned a lot about being a fan that day and with the days that followed. I'd never met Korey Stringer yet his death hit me like I'd lost a loved one. I suppose that I did. I've thought about Stringer often over the years. When training camp starts. When I see that big "77" in the stadium. When I think of the Vikings current offensive line woes. I especially think about Korey Stringer on this day. I think about his wife Kelci, his son Kodie. He's a lineman too.

The Vikings planted a tree in Korey Stringer's honor on the Mankato St. campus. It had to be moved when the Gage Hall dorms were demolished. The tree's presence and Stringer's memory is reason enough for the Vikings to always hold their training camp in Mankato. Jim Kleinsasser was the last Vikings player to have played alongside Stringer. He retired following the 2011 season. Stringer's memory can never fade.

I'll never forget Korey Stringer.

No comments:

Post a Comment