Monday, July 13, 2015

Flea Flicker Favorites

With NFL Network's countdown of the Top 100 Players on my mind here's a look at my favorite players from each of the 31 teams that aren't the Minnesota Vikings. I can't pick my favorite player on the Vikings as there just isn't the space or the time for that internal debate. Here are my favorite players in the NFL. It might be heavy on Cal players.

Green Bay Packers
Aaron Rodgers, QB
I feel like I was physically there for the discovery of Rodgers. I was in the stands for all of his home games at Cal. I was in front of the TV for the away games. His Cal career that was a year too short if you ask me. But, he didn't. I was disappointed that he was drafted by the Packers but it was a great place for him. Great football player on the field. A great person off of it.

Chicago Bears
Jared Allen, DE
This pick is more for what he did as a member of the Vikings than anything that he's done for the Bears. Matt Forte is another possibility here.

Detroit Lions
DeAndre Levy, LB
Levy is one of the most underrated football players in the league. He's fun to watch. He's also a bit of a nut in a fun way.

Dallas Cowboys
Tyron Smith, T
He's simply a great football player. He's probably the best tackle in the game right now.

New York Giants
Odell Beckham Jr., WR
The way that some people have been talking about this kid after only 12 games you'd think that he's already enshrined in Canton. Still, there are few players in the league that are more fun to watch right now.

Philadelphia Eagles
Mychal Kendricks, LB
One of my favorite Cal players. He's a great, versatile linebacker. He's also the older brother of Vikings rookie linebacker Eric Kendricks. The only thing that I have against the younger Kendricks is that he didn't follow his big brother to Cal. Worse yet, he attended UCLA.

Washington Redskins
Alfred Morris, RB
I just really like how this kid quietly goes about his business. He's a terrific runner.

New Orleans Saints
Cameron Jordan, DE
Another Cal player and the son former Vikings tight end Steve Jordan. What's not to like?

Atlanta Falcons
Julio Jones, WR
Jones is one of the my favorite receivers and football players in the league. I love the physical manner in which he plays a position better known for finesse.

Carolina Panthers
Luke Kuechly, LB
I've enjoyed watching Kuechly play since his Boston College days. He's the ideal middle linebacker for today's NFL. Terrific against the run and pass.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Lavonte David, LB
This is a really tough choice between David and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. Both are fantastic football players.

San Francsico 49ers
NaVorro Bowman, LB
Two of my favorite players in the league retired this year in Patrick Willis and Justin Smith. That's a big blow to the 49ers and the league. Hopefully, Bowman is fully recovered from his brutal leg injury in the 2013 NFC Championship game.

Seattle Seahawks
Brandon Mebane, DT
Another of my favorite Cal football players. Marshawn Lynch would fit here too. I never thought that Mebane received enough credit at Cal and I don't think that he receives enough credit for his role in the Seahawks great defense.

Arizona Cardinals
Larry Fitzgerald, WR
He's been one of my favorites since I first saw him catching footballs at Pitt. His receiving skills should be shown to every single receiver hopeful. No matter his age.

St. Louis Rams
Aaron Donald, DT
The Vikings drafted two of my favorites in the 2014 NFL Draft in Anthony Barr and Teddy Bridgewater. Donald was right there with them. He's an amazing football player and he's only going into his second year in the league.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Le'Veon Bell, RB
This pick has gone to Troy Polamalu for so long. Now, he's retired. It's Bell's turn now. His rise up the running back charts in only two seasons is remarkable. I like Antonio Bryant a lot as well.

Cleveland Browns
Joe Haden, CB
Haden sometimes seems forgotten in talk of the best corners in the game. He's one of the best. I like former Cal center Alex Mack a lot too.

Cincinnati Bengals
Geno Atkins, DT
Perhaps I see a lot of John Randle in Atkins' play on the field. A little guy that just rips apart an offense from the middle of the line.

Baltimore Ravens
Terrell Suggs, LB
Suggs is a riot. He's been a great player for a long time.

New England Patriots
Rob Gronkowski, TE
How can you not like this running, shouting ball of chaos?

New York Jets
Muhammad Wilkerson, DE
The Jets struck gold with the 30th pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. He was very underrated for a couple of years. Now, most everybody knows that he's great.

Buffalo Bills
Kyle Williams, DT
The Bills defensive line is freakishly loaded. Mario Williams, Jerry Hughes, Marcel Dareus, and this guy. This Williams is as important as the rest of his better-known linemates.

Miami Dolphins
Cameron Wake, DE
I love the persistence and dedication that Wake showed in his fight to finally make it to the NFL. Now, he's one of the best pass rushers in the game.

Indianapolis Colts 
Andrew Luck, QB
How can you not like this goofy, superbly-talented quarterback?

Jacksonville Jaguars
Jared Odrick, DT
Odrick has yet to take a snap for the Jaguars. He was an underrated player for the Dolphins. I hope that he gets the attention that he deserves in Jacksonville.

Houston Texans
J.J. Watt, DE
He's one of the most dominating defensive players that I've ever seen. He's in a class with Lawrence Taylor with the destruction that he can put on an offense.

Tennessee Titans
Brian Schwenke, C
Schwenke was a terrific player at Cal. I didn't think that he received the attention that he deserved in college. As a result, I was surprised and pleased when the Titans selected him in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Oakland Raiders
Khalil Mack, LB
Mack was terrific as a rookie last year. I don't think that it was even close to the player that he's going to become.

Denver Broncos
Peyton Manning, QB
The NFL is simply better with him in it. I only wish that he was closer to the beginning of his career than the end of it.

Kansas City Chiefs
Jamaal Charles, RB
Charles is a great back. He just has to stay healthy.

San Diego Chargers
Keenan Allen, WR
Another one of my favorites from Cal. Several good receivers have come out of Berkeley over the last couple of decades. Allen is the best.





















No comments:

Post a Comment