Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hall of Fame Thoughts

Wow! Four days in Canton was the dream that I expected it to be. Incredible. 122 of the 162 surviving Pro Football Hall of Famer returned for the 50th Anniversary of the Hall. It was a fantastic turnout for a fantastic event. I had to find my way to Canton to honor Cris Carter and his much deserved induction. I'd like to make the visit every year.

I wasn't the only Minnesota Vikings fan to make the trek to Canton. There was a bunch. The Baltimore Ravens had nice representation to honor Jonathan Ogden but Vikings purple ruled the day. I've never before been surrounded by so many of my own kind. It was terrific.

I met Pro Football Hall of Fame president Stephen Perry. Asked him about employment opportunities.

I also saw Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith strutting through the Hall. The funny thing about that appearance was the slim numbers that actually recognized the man. One guy even took a picture with Smith and then asked who he was. That was a bit of a puzzle. I really think that people should recognize one of the most significant people in football today.

I met Alan Page. Boy howdy, that was a wonderful moment. I still have chills. Carter and Page are my two favorite Minnesota Vikings players. I was there for one and met the other.

As we were searching for the plaque marking the site of that first meeting of the NFL founding fathers, we found a parade. I had forgotten about the Hall of Fame parade. The Hall of Famers were riding in fancy cars. Another Vikings player, Chris Doleman was the first player that I saw. Steve Young, Lynn Swann, Lenny Moore, Ken Houston. Oh my. I even saw Gale Sayers zip by, faster than the rest.

I saw Willie Lanier, Ronnie Lott, Raymond Berry, another Viking, Carl Eller.

Jerry Rice, in a snappy hat, with quarterback Young speeding by in a golf cart.

Heroes of the game were everywhere.

I saw Willie Brown, Randall McDaniel, John Hannah, Marv Levy, and Lem Barney.

And, we haven't even set foot in the stadium for the Induction Ceremonies.

I saw the NFL Network crew Rich Eisen, Steve Mariucci with the Hall of Fame friends Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, and Michael Irvin.

I saw Jon Gruden and Jerry Jones.

Jim Brown was there, fercryinoutloud.

Bobby Bell, Ted Hendricks, John Madden, Bob St. Clair, Tom Mack, Howie Long, Jack Ham, James Lofton, Mel Blount, Floyd Little, Troy Aikman.

My goodness, it was amazing to be there for the Induction Ceremony. It was amazing to be walking around some of the greatest to ever play the game.

I met Green Bay Packers great Forrest Gregg at the airport as we tried to find our way home after a beautiful weekend.

As I was in Canton, I was saddened to hear that the number of surviving Hall of Famers dropped by one. Baltimore Colts great defensive tackle and NFL funnyman Art Donovan passed this weekend. Donovan was one of the most entertaining former players. Not many former players in any sport have moved from the playing field to entertaining talk show guest. Affectionately known as "Fatso", Art Donovan will be greatly missed.

I haven't even spoken of the amazing exhibits found in the museum.

I'll likely be talking of this weekend for a while as football winds through the preseason schedule.

The Flea Flicker says, "get to Canton."

No comments:

Post a Comment