Friday, August 2, 2013

Canton

Ah, Canton. Since my first days as an itty-bitty football fan I've wanted to be here. It's taken a while but I'm glad that Cris Carter brought me here. Well, I brought myself here. Carter likely doesn't know. My great appreciation for his football skills is why I'm here.

Every step in this area of Akron and Canton is a step in football history. Even without stepping into the Hall of Fame. This is the birthplace of professional football as we know it. Massillon-Canton football wars. Ralph Hay's old Hupmobile dealership is where Joe Carr, George Halas, Carl Storck and the boys met to kick start a professional football league. I never knew what a hupmobile was but I bet was grand. The Frank T Bow building now stands where the football founding fathers met. I'd like to find that building. I could lose myself in football history without even finding my way to the "Juicer", the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The unique shape of the Hall of Fame has always intrigued me. I can't wait to see it. I can't wait to see all that is inside. Fortunately and unfortunately, I'm here to see Cris Carter inducted into the Hall of Fame. I won't have near enough to time to investigate all the "goodies" in the building. Maybe, I should use this as a scouting trip. Scouting for my next trip. Maybe, for Adrian Peterson's induction. Hopefully, that won't be for quite some time. He still has a whole lot of football left to play. After all, he has to catch Emmitt Smith. Peterson will still be well represented in the Hall now.

Oh, by the way, there are six other football greats that will be honored this weekend. The 2013 Hall of Fame class is a great one. Actually, all Hall of Fame classes are great. I just really like this one. I like that it's loaded with big guys. Carter is actually the only little guy. Warren Sapp, Jonathan Ogden, Larry Allen, Curly Culp, Dave Robinson, and the coach Bill Parcells. Great, fun class.

No comments:

Post a Comment