Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Guard Speaks

"She cooked two chickens, french fries. Baked me a cake. And gave me a 40-ouncer. I knew then. That was my wife."
     -Hall of Fame guard Larry Allen

Allen had his audience rolling when he spoke of the first date with his future wife. This might have been the sound bite of the 2013 Hall of Fame induction speeches. As one that has never been comfortable speaking in front of others, I've always been nervous for others with the same issues. Most offensive linemen prefer to stay anonymous. If they perform their on-the-field job to perfection, they are rarely mentioned. Of the 2013 Hall of Fame inductees, I figured that Larry Allen would have the most difficulties with that speech. When his nomination was announced in February it seemed that he'd prefer to be a million other places. In the months since he's been in front of the camera more than he ever has. I'd be surprised if he enjoyed any of it. When it came time for him to be on stage, in front of millions, he was ready. It was clear how much this honor meant and he did a fine job of showing his appreciation for all those that helped get him to that stage. I saw a side of Larry Allen that I'd never seen before.

I didn't know much about Allen before he was drafted in the second round by the Dallas Cowboys in 1994. Playing at Sonoma St. will do that. He played a quiet position at a quiet college. That college got my attention and his play on the football field sealed it. Allen proved early that it didn't matter where he played football in college. He could play in this league. His ability to play all over the line was incredible. He could have been all-pro at all four tackle and guard spots. An amazing talent. He simply dominated his opponent. He really had no weakness in his game. His out-of-this-world strength set him apart but it was just a part of his overall game. He was technically sound. He had quick feet. He was fast for his 6'3" 350 lb size. He was fast for a 280 lb man. Basically, he was so strong, so quick, so completely overpowering that I imagine opposing defensive coaches conceding that they will get little to nothing attacking that area of the Cowboys offense. The defensive tackles, ends, and linebackers that entered his area were in for a very long, frustrating, humbling day. As an observer, unless you specifically followed him all game, you'd likely see very little excitement. On the field and off, it's quiet around Larry Allen. So, I worried a little about his speech. I shouldn't have. He did a fine job. As NFL Network's Rich Eisen stated, it was likely the first Hall of Fame speech to have mention of a "40-ouncer." His speech spoke well of a player that always let his game do his talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment