Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Red Zone

This isn't about the scoring area at opposite ends of the football field. This is about the game day shows offered up by Directv and NFL Network of the same name. Red Zone. The viewing preference of others is really no business of mine but I can not imagine ever finding these programs of any interest.

It's my understanding that both programs are quite popular. Especially among the the always growing number of fantasy football enthusiasts. Red Zone force feeds scoring plays to the attention deprived football fan. There's always action. There's always scoring. Especially during the early Sunday games. With anywhere from 10-14 games going on at once there's bound to be a team or two inside the real red zone. I can't really blame fans for their interest in this hyper action. You lose the huddles, the timeouts, maybe even the commercials. You get scoring plays and nothing but scoring plays. You get the Cliffs Notes version of a football game. You lose the story of a football game with this Red Zone. I love the story.

The funny thing about the Red Zone is that there are two of them. I was confused by this at first. Since I was never interested in one it didn't matter much that there were two. Andrew Siciliano hosts for Directv and Scott Hanson hosts for NFL Network. Both are NFL Network hosts of Total Access but go their separate ways on Sunday. Since I don't watch either Red Zone I really don't have an opinion on either host. I've heard that Hanson approaches a breakdown nearly every Sunday so that would be a draw. I like both on NFL Network so I'd imagine that both do a terrific job in this gig.

It's clear from the growing popularity of both Red Zones that I'm in the minority. People love this way of viewing Sunday football games. Fantasy football has brought about a new kind of football fan. A fan of players rather than a team. A fan of point producing plays rather than a game. I enjoy watching football games. Some of the best that football has to offer is between the red zones. I'm not looking for highlights on Sundays. I'm looking for football games.

No comments:

Post a Comment