Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Cal Coaching Search

With all of the blogs and twitter it's way too easy to start a rumor. Anyone can. Half, if that, of what you read on the Internet is likely to be bogus. With that in mind I'm left to sifting through scraps of information about Cal's search for a new head football coach. Athletic director Sandy Barbour isn't talking. At least not to me.

As near as I can figure Cal has narrowed the search down to nine finalists. I think that the term "finalist" is used loosely. I believe that Cal has made inquiries into nine potential coaches. Last week they reportedly contacted Air Force coach Troy Calhoun to see if he had any interest in coming to Berkeley. He doesn't. To consider Calhoun as one of the finalists is a stretch. It sounds like Boise St. coach Chris Petersen is Cal's top choice. I like that a lot. Cal might be pushing for Petersen but I still see his leaving Boise as a long shot. I've seen reports that Louisiana Tech coach Sonny Dykes, Kent St. coach Darrell Hazell and Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco have been interviewed. I would be very happy if Cal landed Hazell or Diaco. I'm not sold on Dykes. He's an offensive genius with the spread offense. I'm just not a big fan of the spread. Perhaps it's the traditionalist in me but I find the offense too one dimensional. I realize that the quick strike capabilities puts a lot of pressure on the defense but it also puts a lot of pressure on your own defense. That doesn't really matter to Dykes. Like his mentor, Washington St. coach Mike Leach, Dykes doesn't seem care too much for playing defense. That bothers me the most. Cal may or may not have interviewed Cincinnati Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson, Fresno St. coach Tim DeRuyter, and San Jose St. coach Mike McIntyre.

In piecing together all of these more or less accurate reports from blogs, twitter and such, I've come up with this list of maybe nine coaches that may or may not have been interviewed or contacted but might be on some kind of wish list for someone that might be involved in the decision:

1. Boise St. coach Chris Petersen
2. Kent St. coach Darrell Hazell
3. Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco
4. San Jose St. coach Mike McIntyre
5. Fresno St. coach Tim DeRuyter
6. Air Force coach Troy Calhoun
7. Bengals assistant Hue Jackson
8. Michigan St. defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi?
9. 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman?

Who knows about the last two let alone the whole list. I think that the top half would all be excellent head coaches for Cal. But, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment