Saturday, December 1, 2012

College Uniforms

Maybe I've just grown into something of curmudgeon but I find the various uniforms thrown upon college football players ridiculous. I blame Oregon. I guess that the school just can't find enough things to spend that Nike money on. Not only does Oregon have too many uniforms every single one that I see looks like someone threw up on them. They're brutal. I've heard that the players and especially potential recruits love them so maybe it's a generational thing. I'm just getting old. Stanford this week and UCLA last week may not have taken the ugly path but they still messed with something pretty great. Both schools have great looking, classic uniforms. Why mess with it? Last week UCLA left the darling, baby blue in the locker room and came out in dark blue. I know that the little bears look up to Cal but dressing like them is a little much. Stanford wore their black uniforms last night for the Pac-12 Championship game. It's just wrong. Maybe the worst wardrobe mistake this season was the mess of a helmet pulled out by Notre Dame a few weeks ago. I thought that I was hallucinating when I saw blinding gold on one side and a snarling leprechaun on the other. That should never be done again.

Even Cal has gotten into this uniform craze. They may not have gone the ugly like Oregon. But some of the combinations just didn't work. I suppose what bothered me the most about Cal doing this is the timing. The University of California isn't exactly swimming in cash. Fee increases are making it difficult for many to afford what should be an affordable public education. Five sports had to take matters into their own hands to survive being cut entirely. Uniforms can't be cheap. Trotting out even one more than the usual is really a stab at so many that are struggling. Cal has trotted out far more than one extra set. They even brought out white helmets fercryingoutloud. Extra helmets? That's just messed up. I wish these schools would just settle down. I certainly don't see fashion like the younger crowd. I'm also a traditionalist. I think that every single extra uniform that I've seen has been a step back. More importantly, he money wasted on these hideous creations can be used in much better ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment