Sunday, September 23, 2012

Game Day

This is the first Sunday in nearly fifty years that Steve Sabol won't be a part of the NFL Films production of the NFL. His presence will be missed everywhere.

"So they talk about heaven, and I don't know what is waiting up there for me. But I can tell you this:
Nothing up there can duplicate my life down here. That life cannot be better than the one I've lived down here, the football life."
-Steve Sabol

It's so difficult to imagine the NFL without Steve Sabol. I really hoped that I wouldn't have to. Fortunately for all of us the magic that he created at NFL Films extends to the people that he hired. The beautiful thing that Ed and Steve Sabol created will continue. It's impossible to be in the NFL Films building without feeling Sabol's impact and guidance. He'll live on in those that follow.

Thank you Steve for taking all the great games, the great players, the great teams and making them greater.

NFL Films would have had a blast presenting the terrific punt return by South Carolina's Ace Sanders against Missouri yesterday. His 49-yarder was one of the best returns that I've seen. I can even hear Ace Parker references in John Facenda's voice. It's a real shame that Sanders was knocked out of bounds just short of the end zone. Fantastic return.

So, I'm able to able to pick from Yale at Cornell, Lafayette at Bucknell and New Hampshire at Old Dominion among others on a college football Sunday. I'm not taking anything away from any of those excellent schools or games but it's absolutely ridiculous that I can view those on TV and not have a shot at Cal-USC. Directv is a joke. Settle this mess and get the Pac-12 Network. Ultimate sports provider is now the ultimate sporting poser.

It looks like that New Hampshire-Old Domionion game was something to see. Old Dominion won a shoot out by a score of 64-61. Taylor Heinicke put up truly outrageous numbers in the victory. 730 yards on 55 completions in 79 attempts. He only had five touchdowns. No interceptions. That's about three games worth of stuff.
 
As an NFL Network analyst, Michael Irvin's excitement for football can sometimes get in the way of his knowledge of the game.  You really need the volume control close when Irvin is loose on the set. Through his yelling you can sometimes find a decent nugget. When asked whether he would have taken Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III first overall, Irvin offered this, "If I'm playing wide receiver, I want Luck back there. If I'm just a fan. I would want RG3." Nice.

Oregon left tackle Kyle Long, son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, had this to say about dynamic teammate D'Anthony Thomas. "He's the next generation of position. He's not a running back or a receiver. He's a bullet." Thomas really is a player to watch. Just don't blink. He only gets a dozen or fewer touches a game but each covers a bunch of yards.

West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith is just going off. He started it last year and he's taken it to a whole other level this year. I think that he's been the top offensive player in the nation at this early stage of the season. D'Anthony Thomas would be right there with him but he has so few touches.

The new college rule that says that any player losing their helmet has to leave the game for a play is ridiculous. I'm fuzzy on the intent of the rule but the result is pretty annoying.

So, Cal loses to USC 27-9. I'm getting real sick of watching Cal lose to USC. Nine in a row now. Although yesterday I couldn't actually watch Cal lose to USC since Directv sucks. I had to go old school and listen to the game on the radio. I really do like listening to Joe Starkey and Mike Pawlawski on the radio mike. Despite serious offensive line issues and resulting quarterbacking inconsistencies the game was much closer than an 18-point margin. Cal was outgained by close to a 4-to-1 margin. It's difficult to win when yards are tough to gain. Quarterback Zach Maynard seemed to have left his confidence and game in Columbus, OH. He was terrific last week and it sounded like terribly inconsistent this week. Even with all these problems Cal put an itty bitty scare in those stupid Trojans.

Go Vikings!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment