Sunday, July 29, 2012

Twitter Patter

@ChrisWarcraft: I would like to apologize to anyone that was at practice and saw my throw during the fake punt. I Tebow'd the shit out of that one.

Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe popped out this recent tweet. Kluwe is a clever, often hilarious, football player. This comes through in his Tweets. It's too bad that so few use this new medium as well. It seems each day I find new reasons to despise the very existence of Twitter. I seem to be the only one. On a recent Rich Eisen podcast , Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman explained his presence on Twitter. He didn't seem too excited to be a part of it. I could understand why. It seems some idiot started a Josh Freeman Twitter account. Propped up by a fan photo of Freeman, this clown proceeded to spew shit about the Buccaneers defense, various players, whatever. All in the name of Josh Freeman. The real quarterback had to explain to friends and team mates that it wasn't really him. This is pathetic. Any medium that allows something like this to happen is highly suspect in my opinion. What continued to surprise me is that when Freeman explained this on the podcast Eisen didn't seem surprised. Apparently there is some mark that can be found on the Twitter accounts of celebrities that confirms that they are who they say they are. It's ridiculous that this even has to be done. This is obviously an extreme case. Even legitimate Tweets often cause me to question Twitter. Whether it's the Greek runner that gets herself tossed from the Olympics before the Opening Ceremonies because of an offensive Tweet to Maurice Jones-Drew jumping to conclusions about Jay Cutler, too many people Tweet irresponsibly. They shout to the world what they should be saying only to the person next to them or even not saying at all. Tweet responsibly people! Think about the size of your audience. Too many people are listening.

I'm not totally against Twitter. I'm only totally against how too many people use Twitter. Through NFL free agency I found it to be an excellent source of the most up to date information out there. It's incredibly quick and easy. Some, like Chris Kluwe, make it extremely entertaining. I just wish that more honesty and thought went into it but I guess that's not the world that we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment