Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Game

If I was a football scout, I believe that I'd view the game differently than my peers. I know that I view the game differently than many of my fellow football fans. Everyone looks at stats, numbers, anything to measure a player's worth. Those figures create the football player that everyone comes out to see. Few seem to consider the football player that is about to produce those vital numbers. The person that plays a game. The person. I've heard that Minnesota Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway is often the first out to practice. He's out early or stays late to catch punts, run and throw, have fun. Greenway has no chance of ever returning punts. He's on the practice field and the real field for his love of the game. Just watching him play linebacker for a couple of plays is often enough to see that love and the enjoyment he receives from running around, playing a game. Some players clock in and clock out. Just doing what they have to. Some don't have to do anything at all. They are just that talented or they just don't care. The latter aren't there too long. As a scout, I'd find the football players, like Chad Greenway, that approach football like we all did as kids. Those that treat football like a game and enjoy it just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment