Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Beyond the Gridiron

Thanks to today's technology and media saturation I have access to a bunch of sports channels on TV. Pretty much everything in the Fox Sports stable. I wanted this access for one reason. Fox Sports North. Sports stuff from Minnesota. For the past five or six years I have been treated to programs such as Vikings Game Plan and Vikings Weekly. Programs typically reserved for locals but I got 'em in California. Vikings Game Plan is hosted by the radio voice of the Vikings Paul Allen. He's a little goofy and an obvious homer but the show has some great stuff during the regular season. Vikings Weekly was the real treat for me. Hosted by Ann Carroll, the show was a casual, often intimate, behind the scenes view of the Vikings, the players, the coaches and even the families. Ann Carroll did a great job and seemed to have an excellent rapport with everyone. Perhaps the best part of the show was watching her become more comfortable in her role. She brought the Vikings closer to me than I ever thought possible. Unfortunately, Vikings Weekly is no more. I believe that the team pulled the plug simply because a new show has taken its place. Minnesota Vikings: Beyond the Gridiron. Catchy name. The new show made its debut this week. Saw it. Liked it. Tons of potential. It's very well done. It strikes me as a more polished version of Vikings Weekly. It's narrated rather than hosted which gives it a more formal feel. The down home, casual feel of Vikings Weekly is gone. In an ideal world, my world, there's room for both shows. It's a fleeting hope but I hope that the Vikings bring Ann Carroll back in some capacity. During the offseason she was doing short segments that were posted on the team website. Maybe these will come back. At least I have Vikings Game Plan and Beyond the Gridiron to fill my Vikings needs now and once the season starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment