Sunday, September 6, 2026

He’s Back!

Minnesota Vikings legendary safety Harrison Smith is coming back for his 15th season. For most of the offseason, Smith’s football future had been in question. He was celebrated by team and fans at US Bank Stadium toward the end of the 2025 season. If felt like a send-off but Smith never officially announced his retirement. I figured that no announcement throughout the offseason was a clear indication of a return. I also figured that he’d return for training camp. I didn’t see Harrison Smith pulling a Brett Favre and skipping into the facilities after the “heavy” lifting of preseason work was done. I guess I was wrong on that part. I’m glad I’m not wrong about his return. I wasn’t ready for a Minnesota Vikings defense without #22 roaming the width and depth of the field. 

Harrison Smith will return for his 15th season on a one-year, $12.25 million deal with incentives that can boost it up to $16.25 million. The incentives are reportedly dependent on playoff performance so he’ll be rewarded for overall team play. Remarkably, the per year amount is one of the highest of his career. With Smith’s plans an unknown, the Vikings moved forward with newness in the safety room. An intriguing group was the result. 

Joshua Metellus
Theo Jackson
Jay Ward
Jakobe Thomas
Jacob Thomas

Adding Harrison Smith makes safety a team strength. Perhaps in a few years, the Vikings safety group is topped by the young duo of Jakobe and Jacob Thomas. For now, Harrison Smith and Joshua Metellus continue their wonderful on-field relationship. 22 and 44 together again. 

Harrison Smith will be adding to some Hall of Fame-level numbers:

Most Games in Vikings Franchise History
1. Jim Marshall 270
2. Mick Tingelhoff 240
3. Fred Cox 210
4. Carl Eller 209
5. Harrison Smith 207

Unless Smith plays into his 40s, he should retire at #3. 

Career Stats
1,180 tackles
51 TFLs
21.5 sacks
45 QB hits
39 interceptions 
4 interceptions returned for TDs
106 passes defensed
13 forced fumbles
12 fumble recoveries

If Harrison Smith has a typical Harrison Smith season, he’ll stand alone among safeties in league history in tackles, sacks, and interceptions. That’s Canton stuff. 

Welcome Back Harrison Smith.


No comments:

Post a Comment