Friday, September 25, 2026

Emlen Tunnell’s All - Time Team

Former New York Giants safety Emlen Tunnell was one of the best football players of the 1950s. He was one of the best football players in NFL history. In his terrific autobiography, Footsteps of a Giant, Tunnell selected his All - Time Team. All of the players on the team played during his time in the league. So, this is clearly a team of the best players Tunnell played with and against. I always enjoy seeing who the best players think are the best players and Tunnell put together an interesting team. Here is that team.

Emlen Tunnell’s All - Time Team

Offense

Quarterback
John Unitas, Colts
Norman Van Brocklin, Rams, Eagles
Charlie Conerly, Giants
Otto Graham, Browns

Tunnell’s comments:
I’m not ducking when I pick four quarterbacks. Unitas was the best all-around man, but Van Brocklin, Graham, and Conerly were superior to John in some phases of play. Van Brocklin was the greatest long passer of my time. People forget that Graham was a remarkable runner. Conerly, a superlative strategist and leader, didn’t have the receivers or, perhaps, the passing offense that complimented the other three.

Halfback
Hugh McElhenny, 49ers
Ollie Matson, Cardinals

Fullback
Jim Brown, Browns
Steve Van Buren, Eagles
Marion Motley, Browns

Tight End
Billy Wilson, 49ers

Tunnell’s comments:
Billy Wilson unquestionably was the greatest end I played against. He wore me out. After tailing Billy for an afternoon I was bushed, physically and mentally. 

I’ve long thought that Billy Wilson was one of the most underrated receivers, and football players, in league history. It’s a damn shame that his Hall of Fame debate has fallen on the deaf ears of the voters for decades. 

Spread End
Tom Fears, Rams

Tunnell’s use of “tight end” to describe Billy Wilson and “spread end” to describe Tom Fears nicely describes offensive football schematics of the 1950s. 

Tackle
Roosevelt Brown, Giants
Lou Rymkus, Browns

Guard
Frank Kilroy, Eagles
Abe Gibron, Browns

Tunnell’s comments:
Abe Gibron brought maneuvers to guard play that had never been executed before. As Abe puts it, he “went first,” which means that he led plays through areas that guards weren’t expected to penetrate. Critics say Abe went first because he beat the snap. I watched him on hundreds of plays, and I’m still not sure how he did it. 

I like Tunnell’s comments on Gibron because he’s another player that seems to be lost in history. 

Center
Frank Gatski

I’m a little surprised that Jim Parker didn’t make Tunnell’s team. 

Defense

End
Andy Robustelli, Rams, Giants
Len Ford, Browns
Gino Marchetti, Colts

Tackle
Arnie Weinmeister, Giants
Ernie Stautner, Steelers

Linebacker
Chuck Bednarik, Eagles
Bill George, Bears
Joe Schmidt, Lions

Tunnell’s comments:
My selection of three middle linebackers may seem unfair to the tremendous outside backers I’ve seen, but I’m convinced that Schmidt, George, and Bednarik could have been just as great on the outside as they were in the middle.

Safety
Jack Butler, Steelers
Jack Christiansen, Lions

No Emlen Tunnell?!? 

Halfback
Otto Schnellbacher, Giants
Russ Craft, Eagles
Dick Lane, Rams, Cardinals, Lions

Tunnell’s comments:
Otto Schnellbacher, my partner in the original umbrella, wasn’t called “The Claw” just because some writer was desperate for a colorful nickname to put in his story. Otto had marvelous hands, and it was no trick for him to grab a long pass one-handed. He is one of the few on this honor team of mine that doesn’t have a long service record. “Ots” led the NFL in interceptions in 1951 and then retired, just like that. Craft isn’t remembered or appreciated by many fans because Russ played at a time when the football writers weren’t immortalizing defensive players the way they do today. Russ had a couple of years in when I came up to the Giants, and he was the first defensive back to impress me with his knowledge of receivers and his ability to cut down the angles. 

I always enjoy seeing and hearing corners referred to as halfbacks. 

Emlen Tunnell is one of my favorite players from one of my favorite football eras. There really isn’t enough written about him. I’m glad that I finally got my hands on his autobiography. 





No comments:

Post a Comment