Thursday, July 21, 2022

Sitting At 89

With the release of quarterback Nate Stanley earlier this week, the Minnesota Vikings roster currently sits at 89 players. There’s about zero reason to think that the Vikings go into training camp with an open spot on the roster. Rookies report to Eagan for training camp on Sunday. The rest of the team reports on Tuesday. If the Vikings are to kick off training camp with a full roster, a player must be added in the next couple days. Who will that player be? 

Perhaps it’s best to first eliminate the positions that don’t really need a boost. I don’t see the player being a quarterback, running back, or receiver. Despite a decade of issues, I don’t see the player being an offensive lineman. I don’t see a need for another safety. Cornerback? Doubt it. Tight end? Possibly. Linebacker? Maybe. Edge rusher of defensive lineman? Could be. 

Tight end or defensive front seven? I guess. To be honest, I don’t think that there’s a “big addition” to be made at those positions or any position. Available players are available in late July for a reason. Age, injuries, troubles, etc. With that in mind, here are some of the “name” players still available to teams with roster availability. 

Odell Beckham Jr.
Duane Brown
Trey Flowers
JC Tretter
Will Fuller
Eric Fisher
Julio Jones
Anthony Barr
Sheldon Richardson
Ndamukong Suh
Kevin King
Dont’a Hightower

Nice names. Only Odell Beckham Jr., Trey Flowers, Will Fuller, and Kevin King are on the preferred side of 30. Barely. Despite injury concerns, many Vikings fans have been drooling over JC Tretter since he was released by the Cleveland Browns. He’s available in late July for a reason. The Browns decided that going with a 2020 fifth-round pick was a better option than hobbling through another season with a 31-year old center with 45-year old knees. I may be the only Vikings fan that still has some hope for Garrett Bradbury. I realize his issues. I’ve seen his issues. He’s still a unique talent. I’m holding out hope that the new coaches can maximize those talents and minimize/eliminate the situations in which he struggles. That being said, if the team’s decision-makers see Tretter as a better option than remaking Bradbury, they know better than me.

I suppose if I had to pick one of the “name” players from the available list, I’d go with Anthony Barr, Sheldon Richardson, or Ndamukong Suh. Barr would probably be an edge rusher rather than an off-the-ball linebacker in the Vikings new defense. I’ve always wondered how he’d do if he was just pointed at the quarterback and let loose. The only issue that I’d have with a Suh or Richardson addition is what it’d do to the progress and development of the Vikings young interior defensive linemen. 

If the Vikings add one of these “name” player, I suppose I’d rank them this way:

1. Anthony Barr
2. Ndamukong Suh
3. Sheldon Richardson

Maybe the addition actually comes from the list of undrafted rookies. Perhaps the Vikings have been following one of the rookies that they had at the facility following the draft. Who knows? I don’t see the Vikings sitting at 89. Who will that 90th player be? 




1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you see this! Please contact me at purplepainforums@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete