Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Breakout Candidates: AFC South

Here are some breakout candidates for the teams from the AFC South.

Tennessee Titans
Jeffery Simmons, DT

Most would say that Jeffery Simmons has already broken out. I have him as a breakout candidate because I think that he’s going to distance himself from the pack of very good defensive tackles. He’s going to play at a level somewhere between them and Aaron Donald. 

Indianapolis Colts
Kwity Paye, DE

The Indianapolis Colts have built an interesting defense. It’s an interesting mix of young and old. Kwity Paye is one of the young players. He was one of my favorite players in the 2021 NFL Draft. I think that he has a breakout season playing on this interesting Colts defense. 

Houston Texans
Derek Stingley Jr., CB

The guess here is that Derek Stingley Jr. plays more like he did as a freshman at LSU than he did the last two rocky seasons. Stingley was my dream pick for the Minnesota Vikings. It was a dream that he’d be available at the 12th pick until the Texans stole him with the third pick. He’s an outstanding cornerback talent and I think that he breaks out as a rookie.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Laviska Shenault Jr., WR

It’s tempting to go with rookie linebacker Devin Lloyd. I’m going with a player that I thought might break out last year. I enjoyed watching Laviska Shenault Jr. in college. I didn’t much care for him when Colorado played Cal but his other games were fun. He reminded me of Percy Harvin. Perhaps not as explosive. Few players have ever been or ever will be as explosive as Harvin. Shenault has the traits to be a receiver-back like Harvin, Cordarrelle Patterson, and now Deebo Samuel. Some seem to think that Samuel created the position but it’s been around the league for a very long time. Lenny Moore, Bobby Mitchell, and Charley Taylor are in Canton for scaring the hell out of defenses in multiple ways. Anyway, I believe that Shenault will break out this season with his ability to hurt defenses in multiple ways. 








No comments:

Post a Comment