Monday, May 18, 2020

Anthony Harris Is Back. As Expected!

I love it when ridiculous offseason rumors come to an end. All offseason, there have been rumors that the Minnesota Vikings were looking to trade safety Anthony Harris. A trade was tirelessly hinted at before the draft and gained steam during it. That rumored trade obviously never happened. The only time I truly questioned whether Harris would continue his football career in Minnesota was prior to the Vikings using the franchise tag on him. That tag came with a salary of just over $11.4 million. I wasn't sure that a team with significant salary cap issues could afford to pay two safeties more than $10 million. And Harrison Smith must always be a constant in the Vikings' secondary. When the team's decision-makers decided to use the franchise tag to retain Harris I knew that he was in the team's on-field plans for, at least, the 2020 season. Sure, the Vikings had to listen to trade offers. They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. Unless a team came up with an offer that couldn't be refused I was near certain that Anthony Harris would remain with the Minnesota Vikings. Yesterday, it was reported that he's signed the franchise tender. Harris left little doubt as to his career plans on Twitter/Instagram.

Since arriving in Minnesota with uncertainty as an undrafted free agent in 2015, I have accomplished my dream of playing in the NFL going from practice squad, to making the active roster, to becoming a full-time starter, to leading the league in interceptions. During the past five years, Minnesota has become home and is where I want to continue to develop as a player only having scratched the surface!

Although it has been a strange offseason, time spent in isolation with family has been refreshing and energizing. This is just one step in God's plan for me and my family. I will let my agents and the Vikings work towards long term certainty in Minnesota, but I am excited to be back for the 2020 season. 

I am continuing my focus on what it takes to be successful both as a team and as an individual. I am excited for the challenges the 2020 season will bring, but I am most excited for the opportunity to help bring a Super Bowl to Minnesota and the best fans in the country.

SKOL!

Hopefully, news of a long-term deal comes soon. 

The Vikings lost their top three cornerbacks in free agency. That has resulted in a youth movement at the position. Mike Hughes is the veteran of the cornerback group and he's only two seasons removed from being drafted. As many as four rookies could populate the cornerback depth chart. It'll be nice to have safeties with the talent, knowledge, and experience of Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris back there with so many youngsters. Harris' assured return is huge. Hopefully, the Vikings can get him signed for much more than the 2020 season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment