Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Favorite Draft Picks: NFC

Here are my favorite draft picks of each of the NFC teams. I start, of course, with the Minnesota Vikings.

Minnesota Vikings
Troy Dye, LB, Oregon

The Minnesota Vikings made an NFL record 15 selections in the 2020 NFL Draft. About half of them might qualify as my favorite new player at any given time. Sometimes Justin Jefferson is that player. Other times it might be Jeff Gladney or Cameron Dantzler. Occasionally, James Lynch is the guy. Presently, Troy Dye is my favorite. When the Vikings made the pick, I wasn't really thinking linebacker at that spot. Then I thought about what I watched Dye do for four years at Oregon. He made plays all over the field. Sideline to sideline. From the offensive backfield to coverage downfield. I'm intrigued to see what the Vikings coaches have in mind for Dye.

Green Bay Packers
Jonathan Garvin, Edge, Miami (Fla)

The Green Bay Packers are catching so much heat for their peculiar draft that I'm beginning to think that each of their selections are destined for Canton. As for my favorite pick of the Packers draft I'll go with their final pick. I was intrigued by Jonathan Garvin. So much so that I was very surprised that he was still available in the seventh round.

Chicago Bears
Kindle Vindor, CB, Georgia Southern

After the Vikings missed on Amik Robertson I was hoping that they could snag Kindle Vindor. I liked him a lot before the draft so he's my favorite pick of the Bears after the draft.

Detroit Lions
D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia

The Detroit Lions now have a very interesting running back duo with D'Andre Swift and Kerryon Johnson.

Dallas Cowboys
Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

I feel like the Dallas Cowboys had a charmed draft. They were able to find most of their players several picks, even rounds, later than I expected them to be selected. As for my favorite, I'll go with the brother of one of my favorite Vikings of recent years. Sadly, Stefon Diggs is no longer in Minnesota. But that doesn't keep Trevon Diggs from being my favorite pick of the Cowboys.

Philadelphia Eagles
Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma

This is a weird one. Jalen Hurts is my favorite pick of the Philadelphia Eagles but I don't like that the Eagles picked him.

New York Giants
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

Most draft analysts considered Andrew Thomas the fourth offensive tackle. I eventually came to think that he could be the best NFL offensive tackle of the four.

Washington Redskins
Chase Young, DE, Ohio State

Chase Young was the best player in the draft so he's my favorite pick of the Washington Redskins.

New Orleans Saints
Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan

I was surprised that the New Orleans Saints pick Cesar Ruiz in the first round. Their offensive line seemed pretty well set. I guess that the Saints didn't agree. Ruiz is going to cause some shuffling.

Atlanta Falcons
Jaylinn Hawkins, S, Cal

I have to go with a Cal player. It seemed that most draft analysts pegged Jaylinn Hawkins as a late round pick. I don't think that they saw him play. The Atlanta Falcons apparently did.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Antoine Winfield Jr, S, Minnesota

This is an easy one. Antoine Winfield Sr. is one of my favorite all-time football players. He was so much fun to watch. Antoine Winfield Jr. plays a lot like his father. I hoped that the Vikings might take him despite having little need for an early round safety.

Carolina Panthers
Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

Last year, Clemson DT Christian Wilkins was one of my favorite players in the draft. Derrick Brown reminds me of Wilkins. Like Wilkins, Brown is an outstanding player on the field and person off the field.

San Francisco 49ers
Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

Javon Kinlaw and Isaiah Simmons were probably my two favorite players in this draft. So, Kinlaw is my favorite pick of the San Francisco 49ers. The number of top picks that the 49ers have used in recent years to select a defensive lineman is astonishing.

Arizona Cardinals
Isaiah Simmons, S/LB, Clemson

Throughout the draft evaluation of Isaiah Simmons, his versatility often seemed to be mentioned as a negative. Nearly every narrative about him ended with "but where does a team play him?" Amazing. His ability to play all over the defense is a positive thing.

Los Angeles Rams
Van Jefferson, WR, Flroida

If the Vikings hadn't selected a receiver in the first round, Van Jefferson was at the top of my want list in the second or third rounds. I'm just really fond of technically sound receivers with terrific hands.

Seattle Seahawks
Darrell Taylor, DE, Tennessee

Darrell Taylor strikes me as one of those players that will be a first round pick in one of those stupid re-drafts that will be done in a few years.




No comments:

Post a Comment