Friday, August 30, 2019

Luck's Decision

When I first saw Andrew Luck take the field for Stanford in 2009 I couldn't wait for him to leave for the NFL. I went to Cal. I don't need a quarterback like Luck playing for Stanford. I also loved watching him play football. Even if he was taking apart Cal in the process. It was painful and fun at the same time. Cal beat Stanford during Luck's freshman season. Stanford won in 2010 and 2011. Cal hasn't a won a Big Game since that 2009 win. Since that freshman year at Stanford, Andrew Luck has been one of my favorite quarterbacks to watch, one of my favorite football players to watch, and one of the most interesting personalities to ever play in the NFL. Football is just better with Andrew Luck in it. So, it was disappointing to see him announce on Saturday that he was leaving the game. I already miss him. But I'm also very happy for him. He was done with the game. If he's done with the game he shouldn't have to play the game. Is it really any surprise? The game has taken a toll.

Physical toll through 6 NFL seasons:
-torn cartilage in two ribs
-partially torn abdomen
-a lacerated kidney
-at least one concussion
-a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
-current calf/ankle injury

Head to foot. It was an all-body thing.

In his NFL career, Luck has spent more pain-filled days than pain-free days. It had become a never-ending cycle and he'd finally had enough. He was no longer having fun playing football. He left football on his terms. In a cut-throat NFL, that doesn't happen often.

Not being able to see Luck play football again is disappointing. What isn't disappointing is that Luck is in a better place because he's stepped away from football. And that's all that really matters.

The negative reaction to Luck's decision has been ridiculous. Fortunately, these clowns are in the minority. It's his decision. No one knows what he's been through. No one knows what he's going through now. I wonder how many of the fans that booed Luck regret doing so now. All of them should. Luck's last moments in front of the Colts fans is filled with boos. There's a lasting memory. Thanks for the good times. Then there's the talking heads that have criticized his decision. How is it any of their business? Luck is making a significant life decision. His life decision. No one has a right to criticize his life decision. When I saw the clowns criticizing Luck I couldn't help but think about the sore college football fans that go after high school kids for committing to the "wrong" college. Seriously? What's wrong with these people? I'm going to miss seeing Andrew Luck play football but it's his decision.

Mike Reid played defensive tackle for the Cincinnati Bengals from 1970-74. After an All-Pro season, two Pro Bowls, and five productive seasons, he retired. He had a music career to consider. He'd probably seen enough former players with fingers pointing at outrageous angles to continue mixing it up in football trenches. After hearing the boos that followed Luck off the Indianapolis turf for the last time, Reid posted this on facebook.

Friends-put this down in response to Andrew Luck being booed at the announcement of his retirement.

I have broken myself
for you, for me, for this,
agreed to offer this body in covenant 
animating your barren landscape,
giving you the reason to imagine yourself
a man complete while I, the hired conqueror
did battle in some pantomime of authentic struggle
doing for you what you could not do for yourself.

Ah, the swagger of the imagined soldier,
the man who talks of killing but never does
thickens the air with a demand for victory,
the victory you needed me to provide,
the one your life has denied you.

"I pay you well," you're right to declare
and to me that's more than a fair thing
to say to yourself and the world
but what price, tell me, what might I gain
in trading my soul for your praise of my name?

Since all past glories dissolve in their time,
I'm left now in mansions of memory's decline
shuffling down hallways like shadows that move
from darkened room to darkened room
in search of one fading moment of recognition.

I have broken myself for this, for you, for me.
It asked nothing less than my whole heart
and I am in mourning having none left to give.

But now, now you show your whole self to me
and I am broken again but deeper still. 

All glory is fleeting, yes, but so quickly?
I wonder now, what was it I thought I was to you.

I wonder now, what should I have expected in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment