Sunday, August 4, 2019

Favorite Hall of Fame Classes

It's Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Weekend. I'm here in Canton.

Honor the Heroes of the Game
Preserve Its History
Promote Its Values
Celebrate Excellence Everywhere

Canton is a magical place. The city is amazing. The people are fantastic.

Being here to see the enshrinement of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2019 got me thinking about some of my favorite Hall of Fame Classes. Separating Hall Classes from other Hall Classes is a foolish thing to do. They're all great. They're Hall of Famers. Anyway, I still managed to separate some of my favorite Hall Classes.

The three that I list first are separated from the rest simply because I was present for them.

Class of 2013  

Larry Allen
Cris Carter
Curley Culp
Jonathan Ogden
Bill Parcells
Dave Robinson
Warren Sapp

Cris Carter finally makes it to Canton. His induction inspired me to make my first trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I have no idea why I'd never visited before. If I needed inspiration, Alan Page should've done it. Bud Grant should've done it. Apparently, it took Carter's induction. The increasing frustration that I felt each of the the previous five years that he didn't make it probably played a role. Whatever the reason, I finally made the trip to this magical place. It was more than I'd ever imagined.

And Carter was joined by an outstanding Class.

Class of 2018

Bobby Beathard
Robert Brazile
Brian Dawkins
Jerry Kramer
Ray Lewis
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Brian Urlacher

Randy Moss brought me back to Canton. I added the Sunday Round table discussion to my Hall of Fame itinerary and it turned out to be a highlight of the weekend. Every future Enshrinement weekend visit will include it. This was a fun Hall Class. An added bonus was Owens' decision to do his own thing.

A curious aspect to my first two Hall of Fame Classes is this:
A Vikings receiver:
Cris Carter
Randy Moss

A Lombardi Packer:
Dave Robinson
Jerry Kramer

A Raven:
Jonathan Ogden
Ray Lewis

An Oilers defender:
Curley Culp
Robert Brazile

Class of 2019

Champ Bailey
Pat Bowlen
Gil Brandt
Tony Gonzalez
Ty Law
Kevin Mawae
Ed Reed
Johnny Robinson

In 2011, Les Richter became the first player from Cal to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Tony Gonzalez will be the second. I was in the Memorial Stadium stands for every one of his home games. It's not like I watched his first baby steps because he was running from the moment he put on that Golden Bear uniform. But it feels like I've watched him grow into a Hall of Fame player. The same will be true for Aaron Rodgers five years after he retires from the game. Despite be a Vikings fan, I hope that isn't for a while.

With Ogden, Lewis, and now Ed Reed, one might think that I was a Ravens fan by my Canton visits.

And now for the rest of my favorite Hall of Fame Classes:

Class of 1963  

Sammy Baugh
Bert Bell
Joe Carr
Dutch Clark
"Red" Grange
George Halas
Mel Hein
"Pete" Henry
Cal Hubbard
Don Hutson
"Curly" Lambeau
Tim Mara
George Preston Marshall
"Blood"McNally
Bronko Nagurski
Ernie Nevers
Jim Thorpe

Seeing as the Hall of Fame opened 43 years after the start of the APFA/NFL, the early Classes are ridiculous. The voters had some catching up to do. We have the NFL because of the above 17 people.

Class of 1965  

Guy Chamberlin
"Paddy"Driscoll
Daniel Fortmann
Otto Graham
Sid Luckman
Steve Van Buren
Bob Waterfield

Along with Dutch Clark (1963) and Jimmy Conzelman (1964), Guy Chamberlin and Paddy Driscoll have been some of my favorite lesser known legends from the league's early decades. Add in ridiculous game-winners like Otto Graham and Sid Luckman.

Class of 1967  

Chuck Bednarik
Charles Bidwill, Sr.
Paul Brown
Bobby Layne
Daniel F. Reeves
Ken Strong
Joe Stydahar
Emlen Tunnell

Bobby Layne and Emlen Tunnell are the players that really make this Class one of my favorites.

Class of 1971  

Jim Brown
Bill Hewitt
"Bruiser" Kinard
Vince Lombardi
Andy Robustelli
Y.A. Tittle
Norm Van Brocklin

This Class isn't just one of my favorites it's one of the best by any measure.

Class of 1972

Lamar Hunt
Gino Marchetti
Ollie Matson
"Ace" Parker

This Class is a personal favorite because of Gino Marchetti and Ollie Matson. My father was at the University of San Francisco during that duo's incredible time there. He often chatted with Matson before one of their classes together. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is home to several USF players and one particular sports information director. Marchetti and Matson top the list.

Class of 1973  

Raymond Berry
Jim Parker
Joe Schmidt

For a tiny Class, this one's stacked.

Class of 1975  

Roosevelt Brown
George Connor
Dante Lavelli
Lenny Moore

Any Class that Lenny Moore was part of was going to be among my favorites. If I was born a decade earlier I'm certain that I would've been a Baltimore Colts fan. Johnny Unitas, Lenny Moore, Raymond Berry, Jim Parker, Gino Marchetti, Art Donovan. Those are some of my favorite from one of my favorite football decades.

Class of 1977  

Frank Gifford
Forrest Gregg
Gale Sayers
Bart Starr
Bill Willis

Gale Sayers and Bill Willis are the keys to this Class for me. Any of the five could highlight a Hall Class.

Class of 1979  

Dick Butkus
Yale Lary
Ron Mix
Johnny Unitas

Butkus and Unitas. Those names scream football.

Class of 1980  

Herb Adderley
"Deacon" Jones
Bob Lilly
Jim Otto

Deacon Jones and Bob Lilly. Nuff said.

Class of 1983  

Bobby Bell
Sid Gillman
Sonny Jurgensen
Bobby Mitchell
Paul Warfield

With Bobby Bell, Bobby Mitchell, and Paul Warfield this is another Class with personal favorites.

Class of 1985  

Frank Gatski
Joe Namath
Pete Rozelle
O.J. Simpson
Roger Staubach

This is one of the flashier Classes. For about eight years.

Class of 1986  

Paul Hornung
Ken Houston
Willie Lanier
Fran Tarkenton
Doak Walker

The Minnesota Vikings finally had a Hall of Famer. This Class would be among my favorites even if Fran Tarkenton wasn't part of it.

Class of 1988  

Fred Biletnikoff
Mike Ditka
Jack Ham
Alan Page

Alan Page.

Class of 1993  

Dan Fouts
Larry Little
Chuck Noll
Walter Payton
Bill Walsh

Any Class with Walter Payton was going to rate high. Throw in Bill Walsh and Chuck Noll and this one's a keeper.

Class of 1994  

Tony Dorsett
Bud Grant
Jimmy Johnson
Leroy Kelly
Jackie Smith
Randy White

I'm really glad that my favorite Vikings were part of terrific Hall Classes.

Class of 2000  

Howie Long
Ronnie Lott
Joe Montana
Dan Rooney
Dave Wilcox

This one's a Dream Class for all of my 49er friends. Dan Rooney feels out of place in this Bay Area-centric Class.

Class of 2004  

Bob Brown
Carl Eller
John Elway
Barry Sanders

This is a fun one. There's no denying that John Elway and Barry Sanders were the headliners of this Class. But Carl Eller, of course, and his on-field rival Bob Brown were the personal highlight.

Class of 2005

Benny Friedman
Dan Marino
Fritz Pollard
Steve Young

The only negative to this wonderful Class was that it had taken so damn long for Fritz Pollard and Benny Friedman to be inducted. There isn't a single reason for them to not have been a part of one of the first 5-10 Hall of Fame Classes. They both certainly should've made it while they were alive.

On induction day, Grit Young sure took advantage of the fact that only two members of this Class were alive. The length of his presentation speech changed the way that presenters presented.

Class of 2006

Troy Aikman
Harry Carson
John Madden
Warren Moon
Reggie White
Rayfield Wright

A wonderful Class. I just wish that Reggie White had lived to experience it.

Class of 2009

Bob Hayes
Randall McDaniel
Bruce Smith
Derrick Thomas
Ralph Wilson, Jr.
Rod Woodson

Despite a load of annual honors during his playing career I wasn't entirely sure that the voters would view Randall McDaniel's career as I had. He was one of the best guards that I've ever seen. He rivaled John Hannah. Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith, and Derrick Thomas were also among the best I'd ever seen at their respective positions.

Class of 2010

Russ Grimm
Rickey Jackson
Dick LeBeau
Floyd Little
John Randle
Jerry Rice
Emmitt Smith

Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith obviously headlined this Class but it was mostly about John Randle for me. As with McDaniel the year before, I wasn't entirely sure how the voters would view Randle's career. When asked their favorite all-time player, more Vikings fans respond Randle than perhaps any other player.

Class of 2011

Richard Dent
Marshall Faulk
Chris Hanburger
Les Richter
Ed Sabol
Deion Sanders
Shannon Sharpe

This Class is a favorite because Les Richter is the first Pro Football Hall of Famer from Cal. It only starts there. Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders were two of the most fun players to watch in my lifetime. And then there's Ed Sabol. He made football better. And it's pretty damn great in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment