Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Another Minnesota Vikings 53-man Roster Projection

Projecting the Minnesota Vikings' 53-man roster is a tough, pointless exercise. As much as I try I can't stop doing it. I'm glad that these roster trimming decisions aren't mine.

Offense (25 players)

Quarterbacks
  8 Kirk Cousins
  1 Kyle Sloter
  3 Jake Browning

This is the trio that I'd like to see simply because I like the longer term potential of Kyle Sloter and Jake Browning more than that of Sean Mannion. In reality, I see it being much more likely that Mannion is the backup this season. I don't think that the Vikings will be able to slip Browning on the practice squad so he's on the 53.

Running Backs
33 Dalvin Cook
25 Alexander Mattison
31 Ameer Abdullah

Mike Boone will challenge Ameer Abdullah for the final running back spot. If Abdullah is the kick returner, I think that that he's the third running back. If another player gets the kick returner job, I think that Boone is the third running back. At this point, I'm going with Abdullah as the kick returner and the third running back. Plus, he's had some moments in camp as a back. It's nice to have a kick returner that can also be a positive in non-special teams snaps.

Fullback
30 C.J. Ham

I think that the Vikings like having a true fullback on the roster. And C.J. Ham is developing into a good one.

Wide Receivers
14 Stefon Diggs
19 Adam Thielen
12 Chad Beebe
11 Laquon Treadwell
81 Olabisi Johnson

Since the start of training camp I've switched from keeping six receivers to keeping five. That has more due to with the simple fact that the Vikings have four tight ends that I'd like to see on the roster rather than having a sixth receiver. Afrer Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, and Chad Beebe, the receiver position is a wide open competition between Laquon Treadwell, Jordan Taylor, Dillon Mitchell, Brandon Zylstra, Olabisi Johnson, and Davion Davis. Unlike most Vikings fans, I see Treadwell on the roster. He's probably the best special teams player of the receivers. Like every Vikings fan, I'd like to see him flash the receiving talent that got him selected in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft. But even modest production will be welcome. The fifth receiver could be any of Taylor, Mitchell, Zylstra, Johnson, and Davis. At this moment, I'm going with Johnson. 

Tight Ends
82 Kyle Rudolph
84 Irv Smith Jr.
89 David Morgan
83 Tyler Conklin

Due to better overall talent at this position, I'm presently going with four tight ends and only five receivers.

Offensive Line
71 Riley Reiff
65 Pat Elflein
56 Garrett Bradbury
64 Josh Kline
75 Brian O'Neill
73 Dru Samia
76 Aviante Collins
61 Brett Jones
74 Olisaemeka Udoh

The offensive line spots beyond the five projected starters and rookie Dru Samia are up for grabs. I'm going with position versatility (Aviante Collins and Brett Jones) and developmental potential (Oli Udoh) in the backups. Collins has to get back on the field if he's to make the roster. If the Vikings can get Udoh to the practice squad, which could be a possibility for a raw sixth-round pick, Rashod Hill makes the roster.

Defense (25 Players)

Defensive Line
97 Everson Griffen
93 Shamar Stephen
98 Linval Joseph
99 Danielle Hunter
91 Stephen Weatherly
95 Ifeadi Odenigbo
94 Jaleel Johnson
92 Jalyn Holmes
96 Armon Watts

Trimming the defensive line will be brutal. Tashawn Bower's offseason Achilles injury thins out the defensive end competition a bit. Three ends are set with Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter, and Stephen Weatherly. Ifaedi Odenigbo has been emerging. Defensive tackle is much less set due to as many as six that I want to see on the 53. I'd like to see defensive tackle Hercules Mata'afa on the roster. Unless he flashes throughout camp there might be too many defensive tackles ahead of him that are ready to contribute right now. I'd rather see five defensive ends and four defensive tackles but I can't trim any of Linval Joseph, Shamar Stephen, Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, or Armon Watts. The potential of the rookie Watts has grown on me every day since the draft. Maybe the Vikings find a way to keep 10 defensive linemen. If Mata'afa does flash throughout training camp, the coaches will find a way to keep him. Defensive end Ade Aruna is another player that I'd really like to see on the final 53. I'm glad that my roster trimming means nothing.

Linebackers
55 Anthony Barr
54 Eric Kendricks
42 Ben Gedeon
50 Eric Wilson
57 Devante Downs
59 Cameron Smith

This is one of the easier positions to project. I think that the drafting of Cameron Smith put Kentrell Brothers on the outside of the 53-man roster. 

Cornerbacks
29 Xavier Rhodes
26 Trae Waynes
20 Mackensie Alexander
21 Mike Hughes
24 Holton Hill
38 Kris Boyd

Holton Hill is now suspended for the first eight games. When his suspension was only four games it was a nuisance. Eight is a problem. I don't see it costing him his spot but he sure put the team in a bind. He's such an intriguing talent but he has to regain the trust of the coaches and his teammates before he stays. His half season absence might open up a roster spot at another position. Defensive line? Maybe Hill's suspension makes it possible to keep Mata'afa. More likely, it gives recent veteran BenĂ© Benwikere a half-season opportunity.

Safeties
22 Harrison Smith
41 Anthony Harris
27 Jayron Kearse
39 Marcus Epps

I have rookie Marcus Epps as the fourth safety but it could be AAF refugee Derron Smith. 

Special Teams (3  Players)

Kicker
  5 Dan Bailey

Punter
  6 Matt Wile

Long snapper
58 Austin Cutting

The Vikings used a seventh-round pick on Austin Cutting. He first has to win the competition with Kevin McDermott but teams don't often draft long snappers. The position is Cutting's to lose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment