Sunday, August 6, 2017

The Speeches

With a lifetime of football behind them the seven new members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame had their ultimate moment in the spotlight. It was induction time and their opportunity to speak. All seven speeches were terrific. So much so that it's a little surprising that the takeaway for many focused more on the length of the speeches than the substance. Many articles started with some variation of "a ceremony that took four and a half hours to complete." That's less than a blink in the grand scheme of things. Or just over a sixth of a day. Those four and a half hours broke down something like this.

Kenny Easley 21:50
Jason Taylor 31:43
Morten Andersen 19:32
Terrell Davis  26:56
LaDanian Tomlinson 26:00
Jerry Jones 36:48
Kurt Warner 32:41

That's about three and a quarter hours of actual talking time. 

I'm of the opinion that that the seven new Hall of Famers put in the time to take their time. If the audience enjoyed the speeches, and it appears that most enjoyed all seven of these speeches, who really cares how long they are? But some do. Talk of Fame Network's Clark Judge, a Hall of Fame voter, called for the Hall to do something to cut down on the length of the speeches. Apparently the Hall tried to do just that last night. The TelePrompters were turned off a few times to encourage the Hall of Famer to wrap things up. That worked on Kenny Easley but appeared to be full speed ahead for the others. I say, let them talk. As Terrell Davis told Rich Eisen last week, "try summing up your life in less than 30 minutes," or something like that. 

The speeches were great. Here are a few takeaways from each. 

Kenny Easley. He called for peace and an end to the violence that blacks experience everyday. He also called for an end to the debate that raged during his playing days. The best safety? Ronnie Lott vs. Kenny Easley. He says that Lott was better. My vote's for Easley.

Jason Taylor. First of all, the strength and support of his mother. Second of all, his stealing of Dan Snyder's money. I can't recall an induction speech with such a brutal and hysterical assessment of one's play. 

Morten Andersen. His speech was hilarious. From a kicker! Who knew?

Terrell Davis. Working and hoping for his deceased father's respect. 

LaDanian Tomlinson. This was the most powerful and inspiring Hall of Fame speech that I've ever heard. I'd vote for him if he was running for office. His words are better than anything that I can say about them.

"My name began with the man who owned my great-great-great grandfather. Now it’s proudly carried by me, my children, my extended family. People stop me on the street because they know me as L.T. the football player, but after football, people have begun to recognize me as LaDanian Tomlinson, not simply for what I did as a football player but for who I am as a man. The family legacy that began in such a cruel way has given birth to generations of successful, caring Tomlinsons."
"I firmly believe that God chose me to help bring two races together under one last name: Tomlinson. I’m of mixed race, and I represent America. My story is America’s story. All our ancestors, unless we’re American Indian, came from another country, another culture. Football is a microcosm of America. All races, religions and creeds living, playing, competing side by side."
"America is the land of opportunity. Let's not slam the door on those who look or sound different from us. Rather, let's open it wide for those who believe in themselves. ... I'm being inducted into the Hall of Fame because my athletic ability created an opportunity for me to excel in the sport I love. When we open the door for others to compete, we fulfill the promise of one under, under God, with liberty and justice for all."
"On America’s team, let’s not choose to be against one another. Let’s choose to be for one another. My great-great-great grandfather had no choice. We have one. I pray we dedicate ourselves to be the best team we can be, working and living together, representing the highest ideals of mankind, leading the way for all nations to follow."
"One of the most eloquent orators of all time said it best in his farewell address. Paraphrasing and humbly building upon what President Obama said, we all have to try harder, show up, dive in and stay at it. I am asking you to believe in your ability to bring about change. To hold fast in the idea whispered by slaves. 'Yes, we can.' "
Anyone that was surprised to hear his great-great-great grandfather's story didn't see Tomlinson's A Football Life on NFL Network. Everyone should give it a watch. 

Jerry Jones. Family.

Kurt Warner. Make the most of your moments.

I enjoyed all seven speeches and I really believe that an abridged version would be a disservice. Especially to those giving the speeches. Let them talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment