Sunday, June 2, 2013

#50 Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made his first appearance on NFL Network's Top 100 at #50. It won't be his last. After his breakout 2012 season, #50 is way too low but the ranking shouldn't surprise. He was a first team All-Pro corner last year yet he wasn't even accepted at the Pro Bowl. All-Pro is a much greater and more exclusive honor but the Pro Bowl is more fun. If his play in 2013 is anything like his play in 2012, he'll be in the top 20 next year and playing in the Pro Bowl. If there is one. Despite Sherman's terrific play last year, I'm struggling to push him past Darrelle Revis, now of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as the best corner in the league. I think that Revis will rebound from his knee injury just fine and return to his high level of play. Right now, Sherman and Revis are neck and neck at corner. I have Revis slightly ahead until proven otherwise.

Richard Sherman's NFL ascent has been something of a surprise to me. I knew that he was a talented kid when I first saw him play receiver at Stanford as a freshman. He even led the team in receiving that year. He was actually looking pretty good on offense until a knee injury early in his junior changed his future. When he came back the following year he was switched to corner due to team needs. This switch certainly revealed his football skills and versatility. While solid at corner, I was never really impressed. Little did I know, Sherman was just getting started. The last time that I saw him play football in college he was getting burned in a postseason all-star game. He wasn't even close to the receiver he was supposed to blanket. At that point, I wasn't sure how much I'd see of Sherman going forward. I knew that his unusual size for a corner, 6'3", would get him some looks in the NFL. The Seahawks wanted that look and selected him in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He didn't take long to make a mark as he started 10 games and was named to the All-Rookie team. His 2012 season was "off the charts" for a second year player. Especially for a second year corner. Cornerback is not an easy position to play in the NFL. It usually takes a while for a player to become comfortable. Most of those players have more than two years of college experience at the position. I was wrong to not give Richard Sherman a chance. He's an elite player that I didn't expect to be a good one.

If you're not a fan of the Seahawks, Richard Sherman is also an easy player to hate. He talks way too much. At least he can back up that talk with his play on the field, but it's still very annoying. I wasn't at all surprised to see Washington Redskins tackle Trent Williams smack him in the mouth following their playoff game. I'm actually surprised that it doesn't happen more often. While I truly respect Sherman's play, I wish that he'd tone down the talking and the posturing. He's deserving of a ranking far higher than #50 and he's just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment