Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Goodell's Fantasy Fans

Sometimes I question Roger Goodell's version of reality. There are a couple, pretty significant, things that he claims to be the choice of the fans. No fans that I know want either. None. I'm certainly a fan, and I'd put both in a can to never see the light of day. Goodell claimed that a prime time draft was called for by the fans. I know of no fans that like it. None. Every fan I know preferred the weekend draft. With the Internet, the number of fans, of all teams, that I know is quite large. I will get used to the new format. It looks like I'll I have to seeing as it doesn't appear to be going away any time soon. Each year, Goodell claims that the fans love this format even more. I'd like to know who those fans are. Goodell claims that the fans want an 18 game schedule. They must be the same fans that love the new draft. No fan that I know wants an 18 game schedule. None. Some like the loss of two preseason games as part of this proposed change. Most of those are season ticket holders that have never liked having to pay regular season prices for preseason games. Teams have often linked high demand, single game tickets to a preseason game. No one has ever liked that. Fans, in general, do not like the price of preseason games, but at least the more informed see the importance of playing them. 18 games is really pushing the limits of the players. The fans see it, and are against it. Goodell's collection of make believe fans seem to be the only ones that are calling for it.

I wish that Goodell would be honest about both these changes. It is not the fans that are calling for it. It is the increase in profits that are calling for it. Basically, the owners are probably Goodell's fantasy fans. The draft has changed. The fans have to live it whether they like it or not. The 18 game season shouldn't happen and the fans don't want it to happen. Be honest, Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment