Monday, April 18, 2011

Locker vs Mallett

I am still strongly in favor of the Vikings drafting Washington QB Jake Locker, but I am beginning to warm a bit towards Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett. I think that both have terrific skills. Mallett is a tremendous thrower. He's accurate, great arm, sees the defense. Locker is more versatile. His passing and footwork needs some work, but the talent is there. His leadership, toughness and work ethic are what truly sets him apart. He can be special. The qualities that I find as real strengths in Locker may be lacking in Mallett. Whether or not he is truly lacking can't really be known without meeting him. If the Vikings draft Mallett, it would tell me that he has passed that test. The team would not draft him if my concerns are theirs and he has them.

One thing that has really impressed me about Mallett is his play action fakes. Play action is a play that is executed to look like a run but is actually a pass. The key is the fake handoff to the RB. Some QBs are sloppy with this, and I have never understood it. Even if you do not have the sleight of hand skills of a magician, there is no reason to half-ass it. With the Vikings, an effective play action can be deadly. Adrian Peterson is such a dangerous runner. Every defense is geared up to stop him. Defenses will immediately react to any chance that Peterson might get the ball. A moment of indecision by the defense will open up the pass. Mallett is excellent at play action. With his athleticism, I can see Locker developing his, but Mallett has proven it. I actually think that this skill is what has me most interested in Mallett.

I truly think that the Vikings draft a QB at #12. If a player like Alabama WR Julio Jones, Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara or  North Carolina DE Robert Quinn drop to the Vikings, they might put the QB on hold. It would be difficult to pass on players as skilled as those. Auburn's Cam Newton and Missouri's Blaine Gabbert are the top two QBs, but aren't expected to make it past #5. I don't see the Vikings having enough to trade up that high. Besides, I prefer Locker and Mallett. I might have convinced myself of that simply because I have never considered them as being available. Right now, my preferred choice for the Vikings is still Washington QB Jake Locker.

No comments:

Post a Comment