Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Draft TV

I might have been a bit rough with ESPN's draft coverage a few days ago. They did bring it on themselves, but I should be more appreciative of what that fading network has done.

For as long as I've been aware of the NFL draft, I have been a draft nut. The Vikings 1976 draft that brought James and Sammie White (no relation) to the team was the first that I really recall. I vaguely recall the earlier drafts of Chuck Foreman, Fred McNeil and Matt Blair. I remember those days of no TV and Monday and Tuesday drafts. It's almost shocking now to think of such dire days. My father regularly listened to the radio, and that was my source of all things draft. Which was very little. Especially trying to find Vikings information on 49ers/Raiders radio networks. ESPN brought light to those dark days not long after the tiny network made the scene. The NFL Draft may have been their first mainstream break. Chris Berman made a name for himself and the network with the draft. They even succeeded in bringing the little basement boy, Mel Kiper, out of the shadows. For nearly 30 years, I watched every NFL draft on ESPN. I should probably show them a bit more respect. I salute you ESPN. Thank you for all those draft filled days.

ESPN has now gone the way of the Monday-Tuesday drafts, a distant memory. I'm in NFL Network's corner now. Rich Eisen and his merry friends have taken the draft to another level. They put on a terrific show.

No comments:

Post a Comment