Friday, April 15, 2011

The Dark Side

"Defensive players are hunters. I needed to be in a hunter's state of mind. I used to try to get pissed. I'd go to work and take whatever I could that was bugging me. I would be pissed that I couldn't find a good parking space at the stadium and I'd take that anger out on the field."
                                                   -former Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas

Football players have always needed to find a dark place before they stepped onto the field. They have to do something to trigger the violence and aggression needed in the game. You can have a ton of football talent, but if you can't bring that violence it is difficult to make it in football. Former Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Orlando Brown used to fire himself up by punching his fellow linemen in the face. I think that might be a pretty powerful trigger for his fellow offensive linemen. The trigger is different for everyone. Some might use slights, perceived or real, that they have experienced at some time in their lives. Disrespect is always a great motivator. Randy Moss has spent his entire career pissed that he fell to the 21st pick in the 1998 draft. He has taken it out on those teams ever since, Dallas in particular. Players will grab anything to slip over to the dark side. As important as bringing the nasty to the game is the ability to come back after the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment