Sunday, March 13, 2011

QB Prospects and a bit of Cam

As the football world hunkers down for Laborgeddon, the Flea Flicker directs it's steely glare at the QB prospects in the upcoming draft and the idiot comments of one Cam Newton.

While everyone was in a tizzy over Cam's "I wanna be an icon" comment, I was a bit more concerned with this little gem:
"I can say with my chin held high to the sky that if I could do it all over again...those same mistakes that I made at Florida...I wouldn't do that because I know what happens if you do the things that I did at Florida"
Newton's little mistakes at Florida included stealing a laptop and cheating. It doesn't seem to Newton that cheating and stealing are necessarily wrong. It's what happens to you when you are caught cheating and stealing that really needs to be avoided. Newton's football talent is undeniable, but his moral compass is a bit off.

As a Vikings fan, I have been very aware of all the QBs available. Joe Webb and Rhett Bomar are the only QBs on the roster. I really like the poise and athletic ability of Webb, but the position is a huge concern. If the Vikings' people find that Newton is the man, despite his moral wiring, I'm a fan. My personal favorite is Jake Locker of Washington. He might have been a bit wild with a few of his throws in college, but I think that it is all in his footwork. Locker is a leader and a worker. He will never stop working at improving his game. I see a right-handed Steve Young in Locker. That is a fantastic place to start. Florida State's Christian Ponder, and Turlock's very own, by way of Nevada, Colin Kaepernick are also high on my list. So much to discuss over the next month, and it's much more fun than players vs. owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment