Sunday, March 6, 2011

More Fan Bits

There are a lot of things to like about fan message boards. For someone, me, that has a long distance relationship with a team, Vikings, message boards provide great team information and some enjoyable fan interaction that I can't find locally. Some of the bickering that inevitably erupts can be a bit annoying, but what bothers me the most is what usually takes place at about this time. The CBA has delayed it this year, hopefully briefly. Fans always have ideas about what a team should or should not be doing in the offseason. It's part of being devoted to a team. I regularly plot an offseason path for the Vikings regarding free agency, trades and the draft. I make lists in my head and on paper of the Vikings players that need to be re-signed, free agents that need to be added, and players that need to be drafted. I try to be realistic about it, but I don't take it seriously. I just find it fun to do. One of the many idle things that I have done that has led to the Flea Flicker. Maybe it is this new sports world of video games and fantasy leagues, but some people have little concept of reality. They become annoyed if a player leaves in free agency, or the team fails to bring in a prized free agent, or the team fails to make a desired trade. Some fans seem to forget that a player has to want to re-sign with a team, a player has to want to visit and sign with another team, two teams have to agree on a trade. They seem to think that if they want it to happen, it will happen. As a free agent, a player may sign with a team for a variety of reasons. Money is often the main reason, but so many other things factor into the decision. Some fans should realize that the NFL is made up of individuals that have their own needs, desires and dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment