Thursday, July 30, 2026

Vikings Defensive Line Group

The Minnesota Vikings have a strong defensive line tradition. The team’s 65 years are generously peppered with Hall of Famers, All-Pros, and Pro Bowlers. From Alan Page to Danielle Hunter, it’s been fun following the Vikings defensive line evolution. “Fun” feels like the right word to describe the current edition of this strong tradition. It’s a fun group partly because they are all so young. The Vikings have 11 defensive linemen on the roster. None of the 11 were on the roster prior to 2023. 

Jalen Redmond
Levi Drake Rodriguez
Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins
Elijah Williams
Taki Taimani
Caleb Banks
Domonique Orange
Eric Johnson II
Isaiahh Loudermilk
Smith Vilbert
Jahrvee Ritzie

Prior to the 2026 NFL Draft, this was also a fun group because none were a Day 1 or Day 2 draft pick. Unheralded, underrated, and undrafted players that emerge as impact players are always fun. The Vikings had to go and wreck that fun little nugget by selecting Caleb Banks in the first round and Domonique Orange in the third round. Pre-draft, I was so enamored with the Vikings young, scrappy defensive line group that I didn’t think the team needed to devote high-end draft assets to improve the position. Post-draft, I’m thrilled that the team selected Banks and Orange. Seeing the gigantic duo bopping about the facility and practice field together has me dreaming about new days like the old days of Kevin and Pat Williams, the Williams Wall. Pre-draft, I was excited to see a surprising but solid Vikings defensive line. Post-draft, I’m excited to see a perhaps still surprising but dominant defensive line. The elite-level talent of Banks and Orange give the potential for something special. Special like some of the fantastic defensive lines in the team’s history. While rookies have a tough road to significant snaps in a Brian Flores-schemed defense, I expect Banks and Orange to earn starting roles. I really like a Vikings first-team defensive line of:

Jalen Redmond
Domonique Orange
Caleb Banks

Jalen Redmond might be the most fun player of the Vikings fun defensive line group. If not fun, his unusual path to NFL stardom is certainly inspiring. From blood clots, during COVID, at Oklahoma to undrafted to the XFL to an opportunity with the Vikings, nothing about Redmond’s football story is ordinary. He was so impressive in training camp last summer that Harrison Phillips was shipped to the New York Jets. In his second season in Minnesota and his first as a starter, Redmond emerged as a difference-maker. Now, he’s the leader of the Vikings fun, young defensive line group. 

In today’s NFL, a starting defensive line is only as strong as it’s rotation. All defensive linemen that are active on game day have to play. Pre-draft, I liked these three players as potential starters. Actually, I still do.

Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins
Levi Drake Rodriguez
Elijah Williams

This is a fun trio.Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins is a versatile football player. Levi Drake Rodriguez has an every-down baseline of 100%. Elijah Williams is my under-the-radar breakout player of the Vikings defense. He was undrafted in 2025 and is further proof that the NFL scouts really must do a better job of scouting HBCUs. It’s a mystifying blind spot and it’s been a blind spot for decades. Every one of the schools is close to a “big” school. Take the time to check out these players. A keeper might be found. These players can play. Anyway, back to the Vikings fun defensive line group. 

During the offseason, the Vikings added a couple experienced defensive linemen. Eric Johnson II was a fifth-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft of the Indianapolis Colts. Over the past four years, he established a rotational role. Isaiahh Loudermilk was a fifth-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Over the past five years, he established a rotational role. Two experienced players with similar NFL histories. Perhaps to force some experience into the Vikings defensive line, some local pundits project one, or the other, to make the 53-man roster. Personally, I only see it if the Vikings keep seven defensive linemen. I believe that the defensive line group will have six players.

Jalen Redmond
Caleb Banks
Domonique Orange
Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins
Levi Drake Rodriguez
Elijah Williams

That’s a fun group with intriguing potential. I can’t wait to see them on the field in a real football game.

No comments:

Post a Comment