Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Late Vikings Additions?

As training camp nears, there’s been significant chatter around the need for the Minnesota Vikings to add a player, or two, or three. The Minnesota Star Tribune came up with 10 free agents that could boost the roster before Week 1. 

The Star Tribune 10:

Edge Rushers
Jadeveon Clowney
Kyle Van Noy
Haason Reddick
Derek Barnett

Defensive Backs
Harrison Smith
Taylor Rapp
Donovan Wilson
Kenny Moore II

Centers
Ryan Bates
Graham Glasgow

I can immediately slash this list to three. 

Jadeveon Clowney
Haason Reddick
Harrison Smith

In reality, I see it as two. I believe that Harrison Smith will be back. I get that he has his own way of doing things. It’s one of the many things that I like about him. I can’t think of a single reason for him to take this long to “officially” announce a decision. I believe that he made the decision months ago and the team already knows that he’s returning for his 15th season. In that sense, Smith isn’t really a training camp addition. I see it more as he never left. 

Most of that chatter around the need for reinforcements has focused on the edge position. The Vikings traded Jonathan Greenard to the Philadelphia Eagles during April’s draft. That move opened Dallas Turner’s path to the field but now edge depth is an issue. Andrew Van Ginkel and Turner should form a solid duo. Behind them are a collection of undrafted players.

Tyler Batty
Bo Richter
Chaz Chambliss
Cam’Ron Stewart
Arden Walker

Someone could emerge but there’s no proven experience or production on the Vikings edge bench. It’s easy to look to free agents to add experience and production. 

If an experienced edge player is added, my preference is Jadeveon Clowney and then Haason Reddick. Clowney seems ageless and has become something of a mercenary. I’m convinced he’d provide effective snaps. I believe that Reddick would do the same. I just have greater faith in Clowney. 

If an experienced edge player is not added, I believe it’s because defensive coordinator Brian Flores has a plan. Of course, he’d have a plan. It’s foolish to think that the Vikings would go into training camp unprepared. That edge depth plan, I believe, starts with a couple veteran players already on the roster and a rookie. Second-year defensive lineman Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins has gotten leaner, without dropping weight. He looks much quicker, twitchier. I’m not sure if he’d take up chunks of snaps one the edge but he could provide a changeup out there. Off-the-ball linebacker Eric Wilson was a revelation in his Minnesota return last season. He was such a revelation that he earned a contract extension. His primary job will be next to Blake Cashman in the middle of the Vikings defense. His secondary job might be to give breathers to Van Ginkel and/or Turner as an edge rusher. In his breakout return last season, Wilson got after the quarterback from nearly every starting point, including off the edge. I really like Wilson as an option off the edge. Finally, Jake Golday was selected in the second of the 2026 NFL Draft as an off-the-ball linebacker. That might just be his starting point. His college football career showed a variety of talents. He might start off as an off-the-ball linebacker for the Vikings but his future is more likely as heir to Van Ginkel’s versatile role. I expect Golday to work his way into playing time. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of that playing time is as on the edge. 

So, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Vikings do add an experienced edge player. Adding someone like Jadeveon Clowney would probably allow fans to sleep a little more soundly. It’d give them one less thing to fret over. It also wouldn’t surprise me if the Vikings didn’t add an experienced edge player. Part of that might be due to my excitement over the potential of Jake Golday. I really want to see him on the field as much as possible. As soon as possible. 

I’m ready for training camp to start and the focus of Vikings will be on the field. 


No comments:

Post a Comment