Saturday, March 2, 2024

2024 NFL Draft: My Early Positional Favorites

With some concessions to the Senior Bowl, the NFL Scouting Combine is the official start of the draft evaluation season. 256 players will be selected in the 2024 NFL Draft. 321 players are in Indianapolis getting interviewed, tested, poked, and prodded. From their college careers, all-star practices and games, Combine stuff, and general research, I’ve found some favorites, some draft crushes. Here are some of my early draft favorites, broken down by the positions they play. Naturally, these crushes lean heavily into the specific needs of the Minnesota Vikings. It starts with the quarterback. The Vikings are likely lining up to take a big swing at their quarterback of their future, perhaps present too.

Quarterback
J.J. McCarthy, Michigan

With every day, my hopes for J.J. McCarthy landing in Minnesota grow stronger. The quarterbacks considered the elite three (Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye) would certainly be nice. Moving up in the draft to select one of those three feels remote due to the draft pick cost. The Vikings may even have to move up a bit to secure McCarthy. 

I feel confident that Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell, new quarterback coach Josh McCown, and the rest of the team’s decision-makers will target the quarterback that best suits their offense. That quarterback could be McCarthy. That quarterback could also be Bo Nix, Michael Penix Jr., Spencer Rattler, etc. Whoever they target will become “my guy.”

Running Back
MarShawn Lloyd, USC

Even if the Vikings hadn’t released Alexander Mattison, I considered running back upgrades a significant need. The recent revelation that the Vikings were seriously interested in Jahymr Gibbs in last year’s draft leads me to believe that they would like to add a quick, versatile back. I like MarShawn Lloyd to fill that sort of role.

Wide Receiver
Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky

Malachi Corley has been described as the receiver in this draft most like Deebo Samuel. That’s good enough for me.

Interior Offensive Line
Cooper Beebe, Kansas State
Zak Zinter, Michigan

Jackson Powers-Johnson and/or Zach Frazier would probably be my favorites here if they weren’t pretty much locks for the first round. A first round interior offensive lineman doesn’t really fit the Vikings priorities. That leads me to middle-round players like Cooper Beebe and Zak Zinter. The latter is coming off a late-season, severe leg injury. In the long term, he’d be an excellent mid-round pick. In the short-term, some patience will be needed. 

Defensive Line
Byron Murphy II, Texas
Darious Robinson, Missouri
Braden Fiske, Florida State
T’Vondre Sweat, Texas

My favorite defensive tackle is entirely dependent on when the Vikings take a swing at the position. If they are going to be patient at the quarterback position, I really like Byron Murphy II at #11. If they trade back a bit in the first, I really like Darius Robinson a little later (but not much later) in the first round. If they wait until the second round to address the defensive line, I like Braden Fiske. Although, he may have pushed his way into the first round with his ridiculous Combine performance. With all that being said, T’Vondre Sweat might actually be my favorite defensive tackle for the Vikings. At 366 pounds, he would be an instant beast in the middle of the defensive front. Linebacker Ivan Pace Jr. would love to have Sweat keeping blockers off of him. 

Edge
Mohamed Kamara, Colorado State

Edge rusher might be the most frequently mocked position to the Vikings. If Kirk Cousins is re-signed and the team’s decision-makers decide to pass on a first round quarterback, I can easily see edge rusher being the pick at #11. If things go as I expect, edge rusher should be a mid-round priority. I sure wish that the Vikings had a third-round pick. After the early wave of edge rushers, Mohamed Kamara is my favorite. 

Cornerback
Cam Hart, Notre Dame

Like edge rusher, cornerback has to be a consideration at #11 if quarterback isn’t the pick. Quinyon Mitchell, Terrion Arnold, and Nate Wiggins would be wonderful additions. Since I see quarterback as the first round pick, most of my favorite cornerbacks are those projected to the middle rounds. Cam Hart currently tops those favorites. Some others: Josh Newton, Khyree Jackson, Jarvis Brownlee Jr., Dwight McGlothern, and M.J. Devonshire. 

A favorite draft haul?
J.J. McCarthy
T’Vondre Sweat
Mohamed Kamara
Cam Hart

Those four would be awesome additions. That would push offensive draft needs to Day 3. I’m not sure if that’s wise but there’s never enough picks if the needs are many. 




No comments:

Post a Comment